Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On 4/12 I got my first Betta, set up his aquarium and within 24 hours he was in it. At that time I hadn't done any research on cycling my aquarium soon after he seemed to have experienced Ammonia burns. I was unaware of what his water parameters were at that time. On 4/14 I added a live plant to his aquarium and started the Nutrafin Cycle three day treatment which I poured directly into the filter after the third day I did purchase a test kit and his water parameters have remained stable, (first test was 4/17) his water is crystal clear, he is happy. The question is. The LFS recommended not doing a water change for a month, should I wait until his water quality starts to decline to do a partial change? Water levels have been the same for over a week? Is the aquarium cycled?
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
pH 7.4
Nitrates 5.0

Thank you for your help

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
What sized tank? Crystal clear water does not equate to healthy water. It is possible that the Nutrafin Cycle starter helped your cycle. I personally would NOT wait a month to do a water change. If the water parameters stay good, do a weekly 50% +/- water change & if the wate parameters are ammonia/nitrItes >.5 or nitrAtes >20 do a 50% +/- water change.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My aquarium is a 6gal Fluval Edge. A friend of mine is struggling with losing her fish in a Fluval Chi so I test his water every second or third day to make sure the parameters haven't changed. I do have several live plants plus a Marimo in his tank everything seems to be flourishing with lots of new growth. So doing a partial change will not interrupt the cycle? Is it really considered established after a little over a week?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I changed out a gallon and 3/4 today and now my water is reading .25ppm Amonia (it was 0) and increased Nitrate (darker than 5 but not quite 10ppm) I did treat my water with Prime could this be the cause? Before changing as suggested Ammonia was 0 and Nitrates were 5ppm.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I feel for your difficulty Dragon!!! I am going thru something simillar. I agree with what Shelleica said and am being advised similarly by Hallyx, who suggests additionally one drop Prime per gallon per day to bind up ammonia. My understanding is that Prime does NOT change the reading. If you are now having an ammonia reading, I am wondering if you have a baseline test for your tapwater? Or you caught the ammonia before bacteria munched it away.

While i am getting similar (practically the exact same thing) readings to yours (see Zen's tank log if you like, posted in this forum) the tank still has to stabilize, is what I am thinking. So i will be reading daily (and posting) for at least the next 7 days. Nitrates are supposed to increase to perhaps 40 ppm before i know tank is cycled. I will do water changes if ammonia is .25-.5 ppm. Etc. Ad infinitum.

Hope this helps. Anyone is welcome to correct me if i am in error.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Mobius, I think the increased ammonia was due to the aquatic wood I purchased. It came from an established tank at the LFS grr I need to stop just dropping stuff in there and boil it first except for plants of course :). It seems that the BB have gotten the ammonia under control.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I changed out a gallon and 3/4 today and now my water is reading .25ppm Amonia (it was 0) and increased Nitrate (darker than 5 but not quite 10ppm) I did treat my water with Prime could this be the cause? Before changing as suggested Ammonia was 0 and Nitrates were 5ppm.
Have you tested your tap water? Sometime tap water can have ammonia in it. Did you test the tank 24 hrs later to see if the ammonia was at 0? If it zeroed out I wouldn't worry about the .25 reading after a water change.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Thank you Mobius, I think the increased ammonia was due to the aquatic wood I purchased. It came from an established tank at the LFS grr I need to stop just dropping stuff in there and boil it first except for plants of course :). It seems that the BB have gotten the ammonia under control.
I don't think the wood would have added ammonia to your tank but I could be wrong, if anything it would have additional BB on it. I would however have been concerned about disease.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm working on a new 10 gal tank myself. First water test on day 3, ammonia was 1-2 PPM, so I did a partial water change (yesterday). What does ammonia burn look like, I'm sure I'll know if I see it, right? I will test water again this afternoon....

My 20 gal seemed to have perfect readings after just one week, and continues to be stable. I hope the 10 will get there quickly. I used Tetra Safe start on the 10, but it was an opened, left over bottle, with only enough for a 10. I also sqeezed out a sponge from the cycled 20 into the filter of the 10.... Funny, I don't feel as nervous this time, but sure don't want my new baby to be harmed at all! YIKES! I got real lucky for the 20 to cycle so quickly (?)!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good morning Shellieca thank you for the input. There was 0ppm of ammonia before doing a partial change and 0ppm in the water that was used to fill the tank which is why I suspected the soaked wood from the tank at Petco SMH was the culprit. It wasn't a huge spike in ammonia .25ppm I used Prime as a water conditioner 24 hours later it was back down to 0ppm.

IXOYE - my Betta began to develop dark lesions on his underside, he also had inflamed gills. Once the ammonia was under control the lesions went away and his gills are no longer inflamed.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thank you for the reply, I will be looking for inflamed gills and dark lesions. Perhaps I can find pics on the internet too... SO GLAD to hear it goes away pretty quickly too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.