Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on starting up a sorority in March-April. It should have 4-6 females & will be heavily planted with silk and plastic plants (might try real in the future, but for now only fake)
It will be planted well & have tons of hiding spots, so that's not an issue.

I want to do a fish in cycle. How long should this cycle take? I reallly want some ADF's, so I plan on adding them first so they can kind of be what cycles the tank, and then add the females so there is no territorial problems.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SO: Please use this form (copy and paste to your response if possible) to answer my questions :)

Is 4-6 girls and 1-2 ADF's a good number for a 10g heavily hidable sorority?

Is 2 ADF's possible? (PLEASE SAY YES. D:)

If they are possible tank mates, would they be good to cycle the tank?

If so, how long should I cycle it?

What type of water changes would have to be done with 2 ADF's in it while it's cycling?

AND.. When it's all done & it's time to add the girls.. What type of water changes would I be doing with a cycled 10g tank with 2 ADF's and 4-6 females?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you very much to anyone who replies! (so excited!) :lol:

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Is 4-6 girls and 1-2 ADF's a good number for a 10g heavily hidable sorority?
I have 7 girls in my 10g sorority, so with the frogs acting as a 7th girl, you should be good.

Is 2 ADF's possible? (PLEASE SAY YES. D:)
I think so, if you can handle their needs. You pretty much need to all but stuff the food in their mouths to get them to find their food, so I hear.

If they are possible tank mates, would they be good to cycle the tank?
No, they are sensitive little critters. I would cycle the tank first, without fish in it. It may take longer, but you have time until March-April.

If so, how long should I cycle it?
Get a liquid test kit, and when the levels are good you're cycled. It's usually 8 or so weeks.

What type of water changes would have to be done with 2 ADF's in it while it's cycling?
Like I said, don't use them to cycle. READ UP ON FISHLESS CYCLING. :)

AND.. When it's all done & it's time to add the girls.. What type of water changes would I be doing with a cycled 10g tank with 2 ADF's and 4-6 females?
I would do 50-60% a week.

LOL It's hard to get replies on this forum, I know.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Yes that number is fine.

2 ADF's are fine, and you need 2 minimum because they are social. add lots of plants and hidey holes. And by lots of plants I mean stuff that tank :3 it'll lower aggression of the bettas, and keep the frogs safe and feeling secure.

Cycle the tank, before getting the fish. Bettas might be able to stand it - ADFs not so much.

6-8 weeks is best for cycling. API master kit for all your water testing needs :3

Do a fishless cycle. I don't have a link for it, sorry.

For a cycled tank, per week it should be a 30% water change WITH gravel siphoning.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I can really only speak to your ADF question as I have kept them for a few years. What type of substrate will you have? ADF are notorious for swallowing small gravel. I lost one that way, and then found out I need sand. They have very poor eyesight and find food simply by smell. This often causes them to inhale gravel in search of food. The substrate either needs to be too large for their mouths (but not too large that food gets lost in between the particles) or small enough to pass through their system unimpeded.

Something else you might want to think about with ADF is that they like to hang out at the surface. This might cause territorial disputes with the females. I've never kept them together, but this is worth a thought.

ETA: They are hardy, but not really hardy enough to cycle a tank. I think you would be best to do a fishless cycle.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much everyone! I'll look into fishless cycling. I know that you have to use some type or fish thing to cycle the tank right? What about brine shrimp?

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
pure ammonia, raw shrimp in a panty hose, fish food... or fish-in using minnows. However if the minnows (usually do!) survive don't flush them - have a permanent home for them to go to :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would never Sena! Minnows are ADORABLE.. I might get some Rosy Red minnows & use them & after put them in my 5g :)

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I know xD my roomie wants me to add minnows to one of the betta tanks O_O me: NOOOOOOOO 1. Shiloh would eat them for breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, supper, snack, early morning snack, breakfast.... :lol: and they are cold water aren't they?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts