Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a really stupid question but should I make water changes whilst cycling? If so how much and how often? I set my tank up about 3 days ago with live plants and it's already looking a bit murky. I haven't had my filter on full power as it is quite strong.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Are you cycling with fish or doing a fishless cycle?

·
Registered
172 Posts
No need to really as you have the live plants helping to remove the ammonia, nitrate etc.

Once you see the drop off of Nitrites and have a reading of zero ammonia, zero nitrite then perform a large water change to reduce the nitrates. The plants will certainly help out and reduce the need until the cycle is complete.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks, do I keep testing the tank everyday or could I leave it for every other day?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would test the water everyday for ammonia and nitrItes. NitrAtes can be left until you see a drop in nitrItes.
Thanks. I tested it earlier, there is no nitrate yet and only a tiny amount of nitrite. I've been adding a small pinch of fish food each day, but I suppose it is to be expected given that the tank has only been set up for a short period of time. The chlorine levels are a quite high though and I'm a bit reluctant to add more water conditioner because I already used the amount instructed on the bottle. Should I add some more? I need to get a separate test kit for the ammonia since I didn't realize the kit I got didn't include it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts