Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i posted this question in my "he wont flare?" thread but that was originally about something else so i figured id get more opinions in a new thread.

i just performed a 50 ish percent water change and put dechlorinator in the tank for the 2.25 liters i added. however i used a different brand that came with my tank and even though i needed the package and made sure it was mixed up, when i put it in with a syringe i could see it floating to the bottom like it was some kind of gel. its been about 5 hours since then.

so here are my questions:
do i need to wait for it to dissolve?
should i add the amount for 2.25 gallons of another brand?
is too much bad for the fish?
should i use a different brand next time or is this normal?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I've never used a declorinator in gel, actually never seen one. It could've been expired.

I would change the water add more of another brand. Too much won't harm your fish but we don't know if the gel could harm your fish.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it doesnt have an expiration date on it and i dont think its supposed to be gel but it was just weird that i could physically see it and it was clear. if it hasnt dissolved/mixed with the water yet, it would still be in the gravel... so should i change all of the water and rinse the gravel? or just do a partial water change?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Was is really a gel when you poured it out of the packet or were you just able to see it in ripples as it sunk in the water?
If it wasn't a gel out of the packet, you're fine. Even my prime conditioner does that if I were to pour it in still water.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I AquaSafe with my 10 gals when I bought them. It is gel-like in the package. What I did was mix it with the water before putting it in the tank. Doing it that way, I had no problems with it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i went ahead and put him in the tank and hes just chilling in the corners (its a different one today than normal) but hes been doing that since i got him 2 days ago so i think hes still just getting used to it. i did clear out the gravel though and put a fizzy tablet in to re-condition the water that i had added just in case. it said one tablet for 2 gallons and i changed about 8-9 liters so about 2-2.5 gallons so 1 tablet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts