Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a 50% change on Saturday and already a 1/4 inch of water has evaporated. Should I do a change or just add clean treated water?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
You can just add clean treated water if the water loss bothers you, but it's not necessary :)

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I loose water quickly too - just make sure the heater is under water.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My heater is not on right now. I live in the desert and it was 106 degrees today. We keep the house at 80 and his temp thermometer reads 81 or 82. I only really need to use it in the winter.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've been curious about this myself. One of my tanks loses from 3/4" to 1" in a week.

This is a cycled, 5 gallon tank and I thought I read that distilled water could be added, but that over time dechlorinated tap water used as a top off would start to raise the hardness?

On smaller, unfiltered tanks where 100% water changes are done it wouldn't have the same effect.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
208 Posts
Also, do you have a cat that has access to the surface of the fish tank? My tank is on the kitchen counter, and though I never caught him at it, I suspect that my cat was sipping water from the tank.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My tank is covered and it is moist under the cover. I do have a cat but she is... ahem... too fat to jump up where Fabio (Spot) is. He is not my first since having her so she is over the fishy thing anyway. Lol

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I used to lose a heck of a lot of water, but it is better now because I am using clingfilm as a cover instead of a lid. It creates a lot of humidity under it, so water evaporates less quickly. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts