Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've kept many a betta before, but I've recently moved to a new state, and the water here is hard, with a PH of 8, occasionally 8.2.

Will my betta adapt to it? (used to 7.4-7.6 PH), or is it too high for him? Can he thrive and adjust or should I invest in something to lower the PH, and if so, what? I want to stay away from chemicals because they usually just result in instability. Are there any rocks or anything that lower PH?

Or should I just slowly acclimate him over the course of a week or two and not worry about it too much?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Driftwood is well known for lowering pH slowly, through the release of tannins. So are Indian Almond Leaves, which are sworn by, by many betta breeders. The tannins are the same thing found in tea, so they may make your water brownish (!! don't try putting tea in the tank though! That should be obvious, haha.)

I had the same problem when I moved recently, where the water shot up to 8.4. I bought some betta water conditioner, followed the instructions, and it was back down to 7.2 after a few days.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm concerned that when I do water changes, if I mess with ph in the tank, the fish might be exposed to fluctuations and stress, since the water I'd be putting in the tank would have a high ph compared to the driftwood water. (I have a 10gal and a 20gal)

Maybe I should just acclimate him... the fish in my 20gal will be ok. I see people here with bettas in tap water and they seem ok.

eek!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi. I live in Utah and we also have hard water. My bettas (I have 3 in 3 different tanks) all seem ok with the hard water (of course, I put conditioner in it so that helps). My local fish store told me that you can replace some of the tank water with RO water (they sell it very cheaply) if you want to lower the PH (I asked because I am considering getting some ember tetras and they require a lower PH).
I hope this info. helps. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts