Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about water pH.
My tap water ph is 7.0 but when I add it to aquariums it goes down to 6.0. What is the reason for that? I have gravel in both aquariums, I use fake plants and moss balls.
To rise pH I was using seashells, pH with them in aquarium rises to 7.2 or 7.4.
What is best for betta? Low pH or better keep the seashells and leave it above 7.0.
What might be the reason of pH dropping, after adding tap water to the aquarium?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
This could be a mix of things. But I have noticed in my tanks that when I add tap water and I always use Prime when I do water changes. The PH drops. My PH stays around 6.8 and with water changes drops to 5.8 but only for a few hours, until it finishes mixing with the other water in the tank and is run thru the filter. PH is one thing that with betta I don't worry about. However with my community tanks I have added rock fragments to the tank that raise the PH. I have added these fragments little by little until I get the right PH level for the community fish. 7.0. If I put in too many and find the PH is higher than what I want I take a couple of fragments out and re test in a few hours. After I get it where I want it it stays there because of the rocks. It's the same with sea shells. So I would keep using the sea shells and really if it's just in the betta tank I wouldn't worry about the drop or rise. Recommended PH is between 6.0 and 7.8. for betta. But it really must be constant not fluctuating between high and low. Just remember don't test right after a water change give it a few hours before retesting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts