Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a question regarding the water temperature for my betta fish. I do not use a heater and leave it in room temperature, and the thermometer in the water says it is usually around 75-80. However, lately the weather's been getting warmer and I noticed the temperature has been around 80-85. I'm worried that it will be getting much hotter in the next month reaching 90s (more or less). Won't that be too hot for my betta? What can I do to keep the water temperature cooler or at the optimal 75-80 temperature? (My home does not have AC but I do have a desk fan, but that doesn't really make the room that much cooler..). Thank you!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Do you keep him in the window? Direct sunlight will bring those temps right up so find a place that's nice and shady in your home. Maybe on a desk or a counter or even a night stand. Anywhere out of the light!
What size tank do you hold him in? Bigger quantities of water take a longer time to heat up. If he's in a 2.5 gallon, you could move him to a 5 gallon. Just be careful to make sure everything is clean and keep the water temperature relatively close when/if you switch. Wouldn't want the little guy to go in shock!
The last thing I can think of is to get a screen of sorts to put on the top of the tank so that way the cooler air can reach him and the heat isn't trapped inside the tank.You could point that little fan over the top of his water and it will cool. If necessary you could but a bowl of ice outside the water but level with it and have the fan blow over the ice and then over the water. This cools off the air even more.
Keep the blinds closed and if necessary you might have to change the lighting of the tank if it is producing too much heat.
Everything that you would normally do to cool off the room for yourself can be done for him, just a little more drastically. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I keep him on the lower shelf of my bookshelf which is plenty of shade. He's in a 2 gallon and I do not have a bigger gallon.. I'll probably try fanning the air over the top of his water then, hopefully that will work!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
90's isn't actually too hot. My tanks routinely get to 90 during the summer but my fish seem to be comfortable in it. As long as it's not a drastic change, it's really not an issue.

If you don't have live plants in the tank, you can keep his lights off if he has any, that should also help keep the temperature down. Or if you have a heater in the tank, you can take that out as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,727 Posts
If it gets way too hot, a cool, damp towel around his tank can help. Growing up on a tropical island with near 90 every day, we never had much problems with the fish complaining. He should be fine as long as no one sticks ice cubes or offers him a frozen slurpee.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts