Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in beautiful tropical Miami and and summer is coming.

Generally during the day, no one is home so I keep my AC off even during the summer I raise it up to 85 when I leave to keep the electric bill down.

When I am here I keep the AC at 80F, which is how I set it last night before going to bed.

Today I checked the water temperature in the morning and it was at 84F... what should I do?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have the same problem. I'm in ft.laudie, my temp rose to 84 in the tank in my house, and the a/c is usually set to 76. I just unplugged the heater for a day, and kept note of the temp. It still hovered right around 80 in my house. :) I usually advocate the use of a heater, but our houses get so hot and with humidity it's miserable.

Edit: in my dorm we kept the ac at 70 and I /needed/ the heater.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
do you have a heater to regulate the temperature? And keep it 76-82, not outside that range, if you wanna save money, buy a window unit for the fish room because that fluxuating temp is NOT okay

and 84 is too high for every day but once is ok

·
Registered
610 Posts
Pog she/he(sorry) has central air. Window units kind of defeat the purpose of central air.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, central air. I got the heater in the mail yesterday but it is still in the box, i need to test it before I put it in - if something is wrong with I don't want to find out the hard way.

I am sure it will come in handy in the winter, not right now.

what temperature should my house be in order for the water to be kept bellow 82?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
probably keep it at 82, water is usually a degree or 2 below the temp in the room. but just measure and see, and we have central air but i have a window unit in my room cuz i like it cooler. but okay...

so yeah, just try and see for the temp

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
My fish are at 85 all the time. As long as it's not extreme shifts its fine.

The idea is to keep the water between 80 and 90. Not under or over those.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is good to know, thank you. I will try to keep it cooler. I can put on a sweater, poor guppy is helpless. He needs to be hardy, I am surprised I kept him alive and happy for 10 days already! LOL

So far so good... but every three days I panic for one reason or another.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yes, central air. I got the heater in the mail yesterday but it is still in the box, i need to test it before I put it in - if something is wrong with I don't want to find out the hard way.

I am sure it will come in handy in the winter, not right now.

what temperature should my house be in order for the water to be kept bellow 82?
It good that you though about it. I saw 2 post's about heater malfunctioned and liked something in the water, and fish got sick. Most of my fish in 2.5 galls and i have spare 2.5 tank were i always check new heater.

For 5 years that i have bettas i have about 3 times heaters malfunctioned. One time it overheated and 2 times it stopped working in the winter when room temp was like 65*. Fish was fine surprisingly. I checke heaters 3 times a day now to make sure everything is fine.

I have heater during the winter and in the summer i take them out. The room temp in the summer fluctuate from 80-85* during the day to 76-78 at night. But seems like all fish is fine may be because it go down gradually.

I keep my bettas in 74* temp during the winter.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am almost to the point of unplugging my heaters during the day now here - it is about 80 ambient in my house during the day, and even my unseated tanks are hitting that by mid afternoon... And they are big so don't change temperature so easily. I am going to need to start aiming a fan at them fairly soon as we barely ever turn the AC on in the living room. Electricity costs an arm and a leg here...

I am planning to try to spawn (again) in the next week or so, and once the fry are bigger, they will be going outside into big styrofoam cases to grow out in the hot weather with tons of mosquitoes. :lol: Knowing the temperatures in Thailand, they should be just fine in my summer.

·
Registered
665 Posts
i am personally just do more water changes when it hot like that. Because i think the warmer the water more chance of the infection.
My bettas live in low temperature water during the winter. And summer disaster for me. But it good though because i don't have to use heaters and worry about overheating.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a question- it's cool here right now in Mass. But during the summer it gets really hot, especially in my bedroom. 75+ even at night because we dont have AC at all in our house. Yes we deal with the heat and humidity! But do I still need the heater? I don't want to use the heater and like over heat the fish with the humidity in the air too...

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just wanted to post an update, the new heater works great and it was a lifesaver during his ich treatment. it keeps the temperature nice and stable. i can't stress though the importance of an adjustable temperature heater, I kept the heat up during the treatment which helped a speedy recovery, now that he is okay the temperature is back down to a steady 82F.

Thanks everyone for the help. :)

·
Registered
665 Posts
I don't know what pereod of time it usually takes if they come back. But i would say watch him for 2-3 weeks make sure it don't come back.

You don't have to have 82*. 76-80* is the perfect temperature for them. Don't make too warm. It always more chance infections with warmer temperature.

Good luck give us update:)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, it is down to 80 now. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts