Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I wanted to do a watercolor painting of Arley and all I got done was the sketch. I just traced a photo because I can't draw a proportionate fish to save my life (where are my art skills when I need them). The paper is 6" x 8" and I plan on painting it then going over the lines with a Micron pen.

Sketch:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finished it :) I scanned it but the colors were really off, so I took a photo with my phone instead. This was really fun to do. Maybe I'll take a request or two if I have time.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Gasp !! Soo pretty !!! *0*

Hey , if you want to make me one ... :nudge nudge: XD XD XD

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^-^" thank you
There's some art stuff I need to work on, but if I decide to take a few requests then I'll most likely made a new thread for it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Haha ! Ok ! :)

What types of paint do you use ? I've been wanting to try painting my fish but I've never used water colors before , only acrylics :-D

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used watercolor pencils for this one because I can get more detail with them. I bought a watercolor kit from Hobby Lobby that came with the pencils, paint in tubes, some paint blocks, 2 brushes, and 2 drawing pencils. The brushes I use for watercolor though are called Aqua-Flo and come in a set of 3.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I used watercolor pencils for this one because I can get more detail with them. I bought a watercolor kit from Hobby Lobby that came with the pencils, paint in tubes, some paint blocks, 2 brushes, and 2 drawing pencils. The brushes I use for watercolor though are called Aqua-Flo and come in a set of 3.
Cool ! Thinking of getting a kit like this ! Do you still use the pencils on canvas or just on sketch paper then ? :-D

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool ! Thinking of getting a kit like this ! Do you still use the pencils on canvas or just on sketch paper then ? :-D
I make my sketch (lightly) on watercolor paper, color it using the pencils (color more for darker areas and less for lighter areas), then go over the coloring with one of the aqua-flo brushes. I do everything on the same paper. :)

And thanks starlight :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did another watercolor of him last night :)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Nice.
What do you think of instead of a black hard outline, trying out a contrasting color? Like maybe use a darker shade of blue? I'm not even sure you need to outline it at all, some strategically placed brush strokes might make it pop all on it's own.

If you aren't sure what I mean, here is an example of some Chinese brush painting,
https://preciouspollabies.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/img_2025_po_goldfishsm.jpg

It's a big image but you can really see the detail.

This one too,
http://www.inkdancechinesepaintings.com/goldfish/picture/2805002.jpg

I love Chinese brush painting. I gotta buy me some someday.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice.
What do you think of instead of a black hard outline, trying out a contrasting color? Like maybe use a darker shade of blue? I'm not even sure you need to outline it at all, some strategically placed brush strokes might make it pop all on it's own.

If you aren't sure what I mean, here is an example of some Chinese brush painting,
https://preciouspollabies.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/img_2025_po_goldfishsm.jpg

It's a big image but you can really see the detail.

This one too,
http://www.inkdancechinesepaintings.com/goldfish/picture/2805002.jpg

I love Chinese brush painting. I gotta buy me some someday.
Without an outline it just sort of blends in. Maybe I'll try the darker color thing, but I don't know how to make it considerably dark with watercolors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts