Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we got a betta fish about a month ago, it was in a 1 gal tank and was not happy.

we immediately bought a 5 gal. tank with filter and heater... little fella was almost instantly happy.

we love him he has such personality.

i have been reading a lot about bettas and i just want to know if our little fella is healthy.

his pectoral fins are almost totally transparent, and i wonder if he has fin rot..there is only colour at the base of the pec. fins

he is a double tail--i think--and some of the edges are clear or white...is this fin rot or healing fins?

he does have some holes in his top fin (had them when we got him) do they look ok?

his pelvic fins are a bit curly looking..is that fin curl?

last question...
he seems so hungry. in his little tank he ate nothing and sat at the bottom almost never swimming--totally failing to thrive.
now in the 5 gallon, we feed him every 12 hours and he has 3-5 pellets...we put them In one at a time and he gobbles them immediately..he waits for more, but does he need it?

here are some images of little fella...is he healthy?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I can't answer the questions on the fins, but bettas can eat themselves to death. I would drop down to 2 pellets per feeding even though he begs for more. Mine begs for food every time I enter the room, but he's super healthy with 2 pellets every 12 hours. Instead of feeding him more, I play with him, moving my finger around on his glass and letting him chase it (and do the food beg dance).

He looks nice to me, but I'm not a fin expert.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.