Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a (Galaxy) Koi Plakat and decided to breed him. This is my first attempt and didn't really know what to expect. I conditioned both the male and female for a couple of days feeding thim live blood worms.

2-13-19:
I put the female ... Princess Nemo in a breeder box in the spawn tank with the male....Prince Stunning. They both seem interested and he started to build his bubble nest under the piece of bubble wrap with an IAL over it.

2-14-19:
@10:30am I released P.N. into the tank and he chased her around for a couple of hours. And by 1:30pm they were wrapping.
@ 5pm I took her out and he is diligently caring for the eggs. This looks like a very small fry but I am happy that it started so well. Fingers crossed all goes well.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2-16-19: Spawn Log #4 - P.S is still tending his bubble nest but I think he's going delirious. Now he's flinging the eggs at the bubble nest and really putting them in properly anymore. I hope this is not a bad sign.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2-18-19: Spawn Log #5 - So I woke up today and inspected the nest and tank. I was disappointed as I didn't see any movement or life. So I started to add water to the tank and proceeded to take out the bubble nest. To my surprise there were 2 fry that made a run for it! OMG I just gave myself a heart attack. So I put the nest back and dad collected them up put them back in the nest.
It looks like only a couple eggs hatched (2). I think he is a good breeder/father and just needs to work on his fertilization technique 😂

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2-19-19: Spawn Log #6 - Fed the 2 or 3 fry BBS but may have ok it a little too much. Oh well, Dad can have the leftovers.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2-23-19: Spawn Log #7 - Did a full water change in the fry tank. Accidentally sucked up 2 of the 3 fry who went on a wild water ride down to the bucket. They are fine. I havevbeen feeding them hatched baby brine shrimp and they have been eating like pigs so I only feed them once a day. I have also been conditioning mom and dad for respawn next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry you didn't have a better hatch but hopefully these guys do well and you'll be ready for another spawning next week. Good luck, look forward to seeing how they do!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you very much. I think my male needs a little more practice fertilizing the eggs. The female is also bigger than he is...lol

Sorry you didn't have a better hatch but hopefully these guys do well and you'll be ready for another spawning next week. Good luck, look forward to seeing how they do!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have Eggs! Koi x Koi - 3 Fry

2-24-19: Spawn Log #8 - Scheduled power outtage happening in about 30-45 mins. On our street until tomorrow. I have been stressed about heaters and filters but I will do my best to keep my Bettas warm.
This will be the last video if they die... 😭
Look how he sees himself in the reflection at the end...lol
https://youtu.be/es28AItZQnA

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
3-01-19: Spawn Log #11 - So it looks like the eggs survived the heater debaucle and I see tails! Looks like this 2nd spawn has produced more than the first (3 fry). Not sure how many but I wouldn't venture a guess between 40-50 fry more or less.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts