Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
03-09-19: Spawn Log #14 - Male (daddy) Prince Stunning has developed a bump on his head yesterday on the forehead area so I quarantined him while treating with aquarium salt and Methylene Blue. He has been sleeping a lot.
1st fry (3) are growing fast at 3 weeks old. They are starting to show slight colors on anal fins. One has an irredescent blue while the other has a slight red. The smaller one is showing dominance and territorial.
2nd fry is also growing quickly at one week old and showing an orange tint or white color. It looks like there might be approximately 75 fry. Still feeding both 1st and 2nd fry Baby Brine Shrimp. I am treating them with Methylene Blue as well sill they shared tank with Dad until yesterday.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks! I'm really excited to find out too. Because of coloration of mom and dad, I'm anticipating a very colorful bunch!

They look great! I'm really excited to see how they turn out once they get all their color.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
03-12-19: Spawn Log #15 - Both 1st and 2nd fries are looking good just did a major water change and moved the 1st (3) fry (3 week old) into the tank with the 2nd new week old fry but in a breeder box with very tiny holes. Also added a new sponge filter. Daddy Betta is now living back in his own tank next door...BTW the tanks have the short sides turned to the front to save space on my shelf. Still feeding fries newly hatched BBS and getting Daddy Betta back onto flakes from blood worms.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
3-13-19: Spawn Log #16 - Daddy Betta is doing much better, the bump on his head is almost completely gone..(Yay!)
Both fries are doing well. 1st fry (3 weeks/5days) are starting to chase each other as you can see a little bit if it in the attached video link.

https://youtu.be/_NJnk7aMkHM

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
3-15-19: Spawn Log #17 - 1st fry are one month old today and since they are much bigger I wanted to introduce new foods besides BBS.
I fed them the Repashy Spawn and Grow gel food and they really like it. Also gave some to Daddy Betta who also loves it as well. I started Mama Nemo Koi Betta on flakes since I am planning to sell her and wanted her to be able to adapt to whatever she will be fed later.
If you notice in the attached pics, the 3 fry from my first spawn are showing some color and look very different from each other.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
3-16-19: Spawn Log #18 - Moved 2nd fry (2 weeks old) to their new 20gal Long home (water level only halfway) and so far so good. Although it is a bit early for such a big transition, they seem to be acclimating well. I will post pics once I add a few more plants and perhaps some decos. Now the 3 fry from 1st spawn can have the 5.5 gal all to themselves.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
3-20-19: Spawn Log #20 - I added plants to the 2nd spawn fry 20 gal. tank. Just counted again and think there are 100+ babies.
* LFS gave me some live Daphnia which they cultured in their backyard at home. 1st fry had a great today 😁

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow. You're doing an amazing job. Your 3 older fry look absolutely beautiful.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Wow. You're doing an amazing job. Your 3 older fry look absolutely beautiful.
Thank you! They are my prototypes for 2nd fry who are 3 weeks old. I will be shipping them to Hawaii in a couple months to test and perfect my shipping process. 😁

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
4/01/19: Spawn Log #21 - Ok, the fry from the second spawn are still in their 20 gallon tank. Strangely, they are only half the size as their 3 siblings from my first spawn at this age. So I removed the giant tree root decoration and raised the water level. I did realize that I haven't been doing as many water changes or feeding as often as the first fry. I noticed that they are all different sizes. I added a continuous BBS hatchery and started to do every other day water changes. Hopefully this will help them grow a little faster and catch up.
This was a very telling lesson for me and hopefully for anyone else reading this. Do regular water changes and feed them no less than 2 to 3 times a day!

21 - 40 of 67 Posts