Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend and I have a crowntail in 1.5 gallons with a filter system and we are soon adding a heater. It's a nice little aquarium, surely he's much happier than in a stupid cup with 2 inches of filthy water to sit in. :/

Anyways, we were wondering if adding a bottom feeder would be safe.
All input would be nice!! Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
You can't add another fish to a 1.5 gallon tank but you could get a snail. Keep in mind that snails produce a lot of waste and you will have to increase water changes :)

·
Registered
861 Posts
It cannot be a big snail, like apple snails (mystery).
But maybe a smaller one like a pond snail or assassin snail, ones like that.
I don't know a whole lot about them though, so they may need more space...

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Yup, no more tankmates. You could maybe get away with a snail, they produce a heckload of waste. You'll have to do 100% water changes every second day. :) Although in a 1.5g you should be doing lots of water changes anyway xD

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
It cannot be a big snail, like apple snails (mystery).
But maybe a smaller one like a pond snail or assassin snail, ones like that.
I don't know a whole lot about them though, so they may need more space...
I would avoid pond snails, they reproduce like bunnies.

With increased water changes (meaning 100% every other day) you could add (1) mystery snail or (1) assassin snail... If you were to get them a larger tank, 10gal+ then you could get fish.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I would avoid pond snails, they reproduce like bunnies.

With increased water changes (meaning 100% every other day) you could add (1) mystery snail or (1) assassin snail... If you were to get them a larger tank, 10gal+ then you could get fish.
A mystery snail can get very big and they need 2.5 gallons all to themself.
Yea, pond snails maybe not.
But I was thinking it might be easier to spot them in a smaller tank...lol

·
Registered
308 Posts
No fish whatsoever!!! Haha If your betta has been in there a while then he probably won't really like any tank-mates!! He probably has made that entire bowl his turf and doesn't want anyone in it! He'll most likely attack the snail,although they are tough he might manage to eat an eyestalk!! :( You might could get away with a snail but just be careful. Also having a tank-mate in that close quarters might stress him out! so keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I don't know how big they get but you could do a Nerite Snail......Someone correct me if I'm wrong.Mystery Snails take awhile to grow(I have two golden ones) by the time you snail gets really big you could maybe upgrade your tank if you have room or $ too.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I wouldn't do shrimp. I have learned from personal experience that shrimp and bettas don't do good in close quarters! :-(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts