Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? Yes - HOB
Does it have a heater? Yes preset to 78, Aqueon 50W
What temperature is your tank? 76-78, lately been 74-75
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? none besides the filter
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? None

Food:
What food brand do you use? Hikari Bio-Gold, with frozen bloodworms once a week and frozen brine shrimp several times a week
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Nope
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 8 pellets in 4 pellet breakfast and dinner feedings.

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Struggling with a fish in cycle, so since I had him once a day
What percentage of water did you change? 50-60%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum aggressively
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Prime, with quick-start but might switch to stability

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: Ammonia Alert says .02-.05 ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10 ppm or so, it was orange (tap water has nitrates)
pH: 7.8-8.0
Hardness (GH): last tested months ago was 60
Alkalinity (KH): last tested months ago was 120

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? This is difficult to pinpoint, but I always noticed that splotch since I had him. It seems to be slowly getting bigger or something I think. His
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Translucent white splotch on the tips on one part of his Anal fin. Ventral fins have always had white tips and they remain unchanged.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No major behavior changes, besides him spending more time by the heater.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No, but I have aquarium salt and kanaplex
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Don't think so
How long have you owned your Betta? 2-3 weeks
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Unsure, he might've had it since I got him from the store
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I noticed this splotch on his fins, at first I thought it was just his coloring or something but I feel like it's changing. Also, today I noticed a part of his anal fin looks thing and I can see light passing through it, which I didn't notice before. The only thing I can think of is the tank is too cold due to heater issues, so many he is stressed out causing something. Yes I'm working on it right now. I will upload the pictures in chronological order, so you can see it progress.

Pictures 1-3: couple days after I got him. Pictures 4-5: about a week and a half after I got him. Pictures 6-9: I took them today, about 2 weeks and a few days after getting him. Pay close attention in pictures 6-9 to how closer to the middle of his anal fin, you can see light bleeding through. It looks like they are thinning out in one sliver of his fin.That is what sparked my concern.

Any thoughts as to what this can be? His other fins seem in great shape, no rot or nipping or damage at all and his body looks in good shape too.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts