Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my new betta fish

I went on spring break vacation for a week and asked my roommates to just feed three pellets of food a day to my betta while I was gone. I come back to this...

I am very upset to say the least. I thought such a simple task wouldn't be much of a request. I even told him that if he missed a day or two it would be fine. I grew very close to my betta fish as its the first pet ive had in a long time and even upgraded his tank to a 5 gallon in the first few days of having him.

They got another male betta fish (two times the size of mine) and put it in the tank with him to watch them fight. Now my betta can barely swim and he lost lots of his coloring. They obviously overfed him and the tank is contaminated with leftover food. I removed the new bigger betta to my old tank. What can I do? Will he live? I am so upset I struggle to even type this post.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Sorry to say, I'd resort to violence. Sorry this happened to you :(

Side note, in that last picture.. the green striped plant.. is that real?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Oh my god. I'm so angry I think I'm actually shaking a bit. How DARE they do that to a living creature-- to a living creature that YOU OWN, no less, that is YOUR LEGAL PROPERTY-- and just for the purpose of such disgusting amusement.

I am not impressed. What a horrible, horrible human being. If I was there I would quite honestly smack him-- and then give you a hug because I'm sure you need it right now.

Obviously the most important thing would be to get him in some warm, clean water so he doesn't get any infections. I know it's good to always age water overnight before putting a fish in, but maybe in an emergency just using water conditioner and leaving it for a few hours before you put him in would be alright? (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong! I just feel it would be better to get him in some fresh water rather than leave him in that disgusting mess for the time it took to age.)

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
That is barbaric. I would absolutely let rip at them for doing such a cruel thing, and possibly report them to some authority. At the very least, destroying your property (I hate calling animals that, but in law they are) is illegal (sorry, law student).

All you can do is keep the water as clean as possible (I would do daily 25% changes) and as warm as possible (between 82 and 85). The extra warmth will encourage faster healing, and the clean water will mean he isn't having to fight other nasties like ammonia etc, so he can put all of his energy into healing. If you can get Indian Almond Leaves (oak leaves will also work), it may help him feel more comfortable. StressCoat is another alternative. :)

I really hope he recovers! I would be on the lookout for a new room mate.

To the above poster: ^^ You don't need to leave water out to age if you add conditioner. :)

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I have used water from the tap, treated and placed into tanks in a pinch (actually all the time, I never age mine). But I would add a tsp of aquarium salt per gallon and slowly get him used to it before putting him in. The salt will help him heal. No chance you can get your hands on some Stress Coat water conditioner??

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Yes, AQ salt for sure. His fins are torn but I can't see any major body damage in the photos.

I get how sometimes you let your friends get away with doing stupid things you don't approve of..
But WHAT kind of friend would TRY TO KILL something that you care about?!
I would be terrified of my room mates! GET OUT OF THERE D:

Next time you go on a break, take him with you. :(
What are you going to do about the new boy? Keep him?
It's stupid that now you also have to take care of that fish too. Is he all ripped up as well?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Oh my god, you don't need to age water if you use conditioner?

SWEET HEAVENS ABOVE, I think you just solved all my problems in life. Here I am trying to find clean buckets to age water in for four different tanks. Why did I not know this before?

(Are you absolutely 100% sure? I mean, I just don't know why I never heard that before-- I've been taking care of bettas on and off since I was like. Four or something. This forum was such a good idea to join.)

Gosh, sorry to derail the thread! +1 to the aquarium salt, and +10000 to reporting him to some sort of authority.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm so sorry that your roommates were so cruel as to try such a thing to you and to your betta.

You've been given some good advice on his care. Warm, clean water, and AQ salt as advised above.

Definitely find out who you can report this to. If you're on campus, there might be someone there who can advise you on what to do, if not help get you out of that room.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I'd highly suggest moving rooms if that's a possibility..
Like even if they get offended, if you barely know em, no big deal right?
If they say you care about stupid fish too much, just be like, yes I care about my pets.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah. I think it's time for new roommates. I would REFUSE to live with someone capable of that. :(

I know just your run-of-the-mill rips and tears will eventually heal, even if they don't look good as before. But I'm not sure about tails that have been eaten off like that. I'm not sure how much they would heal. :/

·
Registered
188 Posts
Still, I think it's worth saying that even if it doesn't grow back to the size it used to be, I'm sure as long as you avoid infection he'll be able to live a wonderful life-- bettas are troopers like that.

What will you be doing with the other, new betta?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Poor thing! I would move rooms instantly...

·
Registered
211 Posts
1- First of all clean up all that mess and wash the entire tank with hot water.

2- If you have a filter change the cartridges, get the water, treat it and dose 1teasp of aq. salt/gallon of water. Leave the termostat at 80F so everything heals faster. I suggest that you buy StressCoat, it helps recovering faster.

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS: GET THAT TANK OUT OF THERE!!!

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I don't think that tank is big enough but that is no reason to change a filter cartridge. You should never change a filter cartridge unless a very bad disease sweeps your tank.. this will most likely not get infected if proper care is taken right away.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Oh my god, you don't need to age water if you use conditioner?

SWEET HEAVENS ABOVE, I think you just solved all my problems in life. Here I am trying to find clean buckets to age water in for four different tanks. Why did I not know this before?

(Are you absolutely 100% sure? I mean, I just don't know why I never heard that before-- I've been taking care of bettas on and off since I was like. Four or something. This forum was such a good idea to join.)

Gosh, sorry to derail the thread! +1 to the aquarium salt, and +10000 to reporting him to some sort of authority.
As soon as you add the conditioner and swish it around for a second, the water is good to go :) I've been doing it for Paarthurnax and my bettas in the past.

On topic - that is the most disturbing thing I have ever heard...

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I hear ya. I went on spring break and my sitter destroyed my tanks. two of my fish are still recovering...

·
Registered
211 Posts
You must change the cartridge atleast once a month. The only thing that you never have to change but clean with the own aquarium water is the biological media (ceramic rings or siporax).

Good luck with your betta!

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
If you are talking about activated carbon, most aquarists do not even recommend using it. In a small tank you'd be doing too many WCs, it'd really have no need to be in a filter. It also does stuff like absorb plant nutrients. I think it was from more of a time when people didn't do WCs that often, which would cause your water to stink. Not a problem these days, I personally think it's just a money grab so you keep paying for something.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
You wouldn't have to change it unless it was clogged with debris. Which could or could not be the case.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts