Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today at petsmart I was getting a 3.5 gallon tank for my new girl and this old couple behind me was trying to find something to buy for there betta and the worker came over and tried to help them and she tried recommending certain tank sizes but they just want a small .5 or 1 gallon tank with a divider :evil:

And then she told them they need to buy dechlorinator for the water so the fish doesn't die and they got all fussy and didn't want to spend all that money on a fish!I really wanted to tell them that a Betta fish is not a toy :evil:

Anyways I feel like I had to talk about that lol.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Thank goodness the employee scared them away. If they didn't even want to pay the $3 for dechlorinator, they're being crazy cheap. I only have a mildly planted 2.5 gallon and I've already spent $70 on my betta! I never thought the start up price on an aquarium could be so much, but I never hesitated to buy what I needed for him. When you buy a pet, you're responsible for their well-being, so I like to get my boy whatever I can afford on my limited budget. I mean seriously, getting JUST the fish, a 1 gallon bowl, and the dechlorinator would've run them like $20 at the most. I don't think I can think of ANY pet that will cost less than $20 at the start-up besides a pet rock.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank goodness the employee scared them away. If they didn't even want to pay the $3 for dechlorinator, they're being crazy cheap. I only have a mildly planted 2.5 gallon and I've already spent $70 on my betta! I never thought the start up price on an aquarium could be so much, but I never hesitated to buy what I needed for him. When you buy a pet, you're responsible for their well-being, so I like to get my boy whatever I can afford on my limited budget. I mean seriously, getting JUST the fish, a 1 gallon bowl, and the dechlorinator would've run them like $20 at the most. I don't think I can think of ANY pet that will cost less than $20 at the start-up besides a pet rock.
I agree!I was only excpecting to spend about 30$ total on my first betta and ended up spending over 60-100$ and now with my new female Ive already spent over 60$ I think lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
I spent $3.79 on my fish, and well over $100 on supplies and plants! And I already had the tank and a quite a bit of other equipment.

They do sell battery powered robot fish. I think those would be perfect for some people.

·
Registered
273 Posts
With my 2 boys combined+their Tanks and set up like plants, heaters, etc. I have spent well over 300-350$ But then again I chose the Aqueon mini bow tanks which are overpriced...

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With my 2 boys combined+their Tanks and set up like plants, heaters, etc. I have spent well over 300-350$ But then again I chose the Aqueon mini bow tanks which are overpriced...
Haha me 2 and I just started my first 2 bettas and Im already spending a lot on them! But I love getting new things for my tank and seeing how they betta reacts to it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Honestly it's not even fish. I go on rottweiler/labrador/dog forums in general. No matter where I go, there are people so crude as to ask for discounts on puppies. Someone even offered to pay in several sacks of dog food and asked for like over 30% discount.

When you get the pet, as far as costs go, it's not if you can afford the pet or not. It's whether you can afford everything that comes with that pet for the next couple of years it's going to be with you.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
When you get the pet, as far as costs go, it's not if you can afford the pet or not. It's whether you can afford everything that comes with that pet for the next couple of years it's going to be with you.
Exactly. I spent a few bucks on both of my rescue fish combined (I was adamant about getting a discount!), but I have spent......well, er, I actually haven't totaled it all up because I'm afraid....let's just say a lot of money on my 2 10 gallon tanks, QT tank, heaters, filters, RO unit, water additives for the RO water, decorations, oh, and the fully stocked fish pharmacy and the microscope that I bought off of ebay (for $65 though!) that I may have bought for the purpose of researching fish diseases :shock:.

Honestly, I swear I am a college student living off a limited income. I just portion my money in different ways than others. I haven't been shopping for clothes or shoes in years (I think it's time though, since I'm running in completely flat sneakers and realizing that I have more clothes with holes than without!), NEVER go out to eat or to the movies, and basically never spend money on anything other than my animals and presents for my family. It is workable, you just have to be willing to make sacrifices in other areas of life.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I get a lot of customers like the older couple that you described. Unfortunately, some still buy the betta without buying the water conditioner or the proper food, no matter how much my co-workers and I try to convince them.

I am guilty of telling one lady that Walmart sells these great little electronic fish that swim in water, and it would suit her needs better... She was not a happy customer after that xD

I just hold onto the fact that are people, like those on this site, who still care for bettas. I actually had a young guy come in and buy a betta since his young cichlids had outgrown his 10 gallon, so he had moved them to a larger tank, and he was looking for a fish to put in the now-empty 10 gallon. He said he wished he could buy all the bettas we had so they didn't have to sit in their cups anymore. It warmed my heart :)

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I actually had a young guy come in and buy a betta since his young cichlids had outgrown his 10 gallon, so he had moved them to a larger tank, and he was looking for a fish to put in the now-empty 10 gallon. He said he wished he could buy all the bettas we had so they didn't have to sit in their cups anymore. It warmed my heart :)
Wow, how young are we talking? If you mean an adult guy, I would've gotten a telephone number :lol:. I've never seen a guy that cares about fish!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Wow, how young are we talking? If you mean an adult guy, I would've gotten a telephone number :lol:. I've never seen a guy that cares about fish!
Lol, I always say "young" when I'm talking about someone younger than myself. He looked around 18-19ish. I'm terrible with judging age though xD I'm only 22 myself :p
Alas, I am married though, to a man who loves my dogs and cats, and tolerates my fish ;D So I am quite happy with out that boys number. Perhaps I can give it to you though, as he came in a second time to purchase a 45gallon fluval heater since his broke the other day. :p

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Haha...too young for me, but it's great to know that there are guys out there who care about fish! Thanks for sharing that - it made me a bit more optimistic for the human race :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
I get a lot of customers like the older couple that you described. Unfortunately, some still buy the betta without buying the water conditioner or the proper food, no matter how much my co-workers and I try to convince them.

Well, it's not much of a consolation but at least most these people usually give up on fish for good - if not all pets in general.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I honestly find it's the older generations that are the hardest to talk to in terms of proper care of any animal - they are stuck in their ways because "it has worked before". Not all are this way, but a vast majority in this area. Some are really caring and provide the best for their pets, but most see them as "just animals".

The younger generations are MUCH more willing to listen, and are more likely to follow my instructions. That why I like it when teens come in without their parents, spending their own money. The parents are not there to talk down to me and tell me that I'm trying to sell them "useless crap".

It's also why I typed up a professional looking pamphlet, because for some reason, the older generation believes what a paper tells them, and not what I tell them... Even though I'm the one who made it (shh, don't tell them :p)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Don't worry. I'm in Physical Therapy. They think we make them come so often bec we charge by the hour so we give them the brochures and pamphlets as well. Plus, they tend to invent exercises if left to their devices. ('n' )

I agree with the "useless crap" argument. They think we're always spoiling our pets when we get them the right everything and we're picky about brands.

Well, since more and more people are becoming conscientious, we can only hope in the future there will be more people like us who just want to do right by our pets - as opposed to over-pampering them.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I honestly find it's the older generations that are the hardest to talk to in terms of proper care of any animal - they are stuck in their ways because "it has worked before". Not all are this way, but a vast majority in this area. Some are really caring and provide the best for their pets, but most see them as "just animals".

The younger generations are MUCH more willing to listen, and are more likely to follow my instructions. That why I like it when teens come in without their parents, spending their own money. The parents are not there to talk down to me and tell me that I'm trying to sell them "useless crap".

It's also why I typed up a professional looking pamphlet, because for some reason, the older generation believes what a paper tells them, and not what I tell them... Even though I'm the one who made it (shh, don't tell them :p)

I agree with this. I'm 15 and live with my grandparents(long story), and they finally let me get my first betta last June. He got fin rot, and I was banned from getting aquarium salt because it will " hurt them". He still has missing fin on his tail, but he has also started biting. The fin rot cleared up with daily water changes though. They were listening to PetSmart. And where I live, there is a place called Fish Pros, who uses aquarium salt in their fish tanks. They told me to get AQ Salt, but my grandparents wouldn't listen, so therefore, banned me from getting the AQ Salt, and any othet medications for Leo, Summer and Scarlett.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I was raise on a farm, where the mentality was "animals are animals". I was the first in my family to take major interest in the well being of animals, and after I graduated from a vet assistant course (with honours :lol:), my family finally started to really pay attention to what I had to say about pet care and nutrition, and have followed my suggestions. My husband's family is actually started to make a switch as well since he and I got married :)

It's kind of sad that it took me graduation from college to get some people to take me seriously... I have to bring up that point here and there at work so that customers actually listen to me... :roll:

·
Registered
606 Posts
So today at petsmart I was getting a 3.5 gallon tank for my new girl and this old couple behind me was trying to find something to buy for there betta and the worker came over and tried to help them and she tried recommending certain tank sizes but they just want a small .5 or 1 gallon tank with a divider :evil:

And then she told them they need to buy dechlorinator for the water so the fish doesn't die and they got all fussy and didn't want to spend all that money on a fish!I really wanted to tell them that a Betta fish is not a toy :evil:

Anyways I feel like I had to talk about that lol.
I think the thing that worries me most about this post is... finding something to buy for their betta? Implying that they already have a betta, and decided to not get dechlorinator?! Or am I reading that wrong?

That poor fish...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.