Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay guys and gals I want to know what you guys use to uncrease surdace area in your tanks so that beneficial bactiria have more places to start growing.:cool: If you can include a pic, that would be awesome.

P.s. I know sPelled effective wrong, darn smart phone with its tiny keypad

·
Registered
56 Posts
hmm yes i didn't know it majorly involved surface area I thought the tank size and presence of a filter were the main thing. I haven't really particularly tried to increase surface area in mine.
How big is your tank?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get a bigger tank, get a filter.
I have a filter and since I cannot house a larger tank at the moment I would apreciate it if coments were longer than mr. Mo's here. I want to know products or just things you guys may use, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm yes i didn't know it majorly involved surface area I thought the tank size and presence of a filter were the main thing. I haven't really particularly tried to increase surface area in mine.
How big is your tank?
2 gallons

·
Registered
56 Posts
I suppose lots of leafy silk plants would help? they have lots of surface area but don't take up as huge an amount of space as ornaments would, and still allow for swimming space as the bettas can sort of swim through them.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
A filter should provide all the surface area you need. If there's a filter sponge in there, there's already tons of surface area. Sponges are one of the best things to hold the bacteria. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
For enough nitrifying bacteria to grow that makes a dent in the actual ammonia present in the tank cannot be supplies through gravel, silk plants, etc. it has to be a large tank wih a filter. Minimal nitrifying bacteria exists inside of the water collum or on things in the tank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts