Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently picked up a free 30-gallon tank and would like to get into aquariums, aquascaping, and having my own betta fish. I already collect terrariums, rare and difficult plants, etc, so I was thinking it would be cool to fill the tank only half-way with water and have a jungle upstairs and a planted tank downstairs. Which leads me to the question of how deep does the water need to be for a betta fish? 12 inches? Could it be less if the tank is very wide? I think my tank is 30 inches or so wide, I can measure it when I get home. I want my fish to be happy!

Edit: Here's some inspiration:
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/1c/54/1d/1c541d172e74811a41155a9602ffd7c7.jpg
http://www.aquascapingworld.com/gallery/images/1/1_hans701.jpg

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think that looks absolutely STUNNING! Would you be happy with just one Betta fish, and lots of plants? I think your Betta would be very happy, and I'm pretty sure you will also need a heater to keep it consistantly warm. But wow- who wouldn't love that! Anxious to see your project in pics!

·
Registered
148 Posts
That's a super cool idea! Bettas prefer long, shallow water, so that would be awesome! I think 12 inches tall is plenty deep :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Ditto ditto and ditto and please please please post pictures before/during/after! :D

So excited for your project! good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could it be less than 12 inches? What would be the least depth for a broad tank that a fish would still be comfortable in?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Ah yes, Paludarium is what you are wanting to create! And yes they'll be fine in less than 12 inches! My 20 long has roughly 2 inches of substrate and is only filled 2 inches below the tank rim which means my fish are in roughly 8 inches of water...if that and then with evaporation it routinely goes down to around 6 inches lol so yeah, they'll be totally fine!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Those tanks are stunning! That would look very cool with a betta and lots of plants. I don't think bettas need 12 inches. One of my tanks is 8 inches tall and has a thick layer of gravel, and with evaporation, it only has about 5 inches of water sometimes. That's more than enough for my betta.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Oh WOW I LOVE this one the best!

I really wanna see your masterpiece! so I will be watching this thread. ;) I wonder if you could add some type of frog in the tank? or would it cause problems for the betta? =O

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I think many of the smaller tanks aren't even 12 inches tall. So you're probably good to go! Up side, no hood needed as what fish can jump that high? and he'll have plenty of hiding places!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
No frogs Tree unless they were aquatic like ADF's, adding other frogs will cause issues because they can excrete poison like Fire belly frogs. But all the same, I never suggest ADF's with Bettas either since I've seen too many cases of the frog nibbling on the bettas tail, more or less chomping the entire thing off!

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
No frogs Tree unless they were aquatic like ADF's, adding other frogs will cause issues because they can excrete poison like Fire belly frogs. But all the same, I never suggest ADF's with Bettas either since I've seen too many cases of the frog nibbling on the bettas tail, more or less chomping the entire thing off!

Awww, well it was worth a shot to ask. XD

·
Registered
337 Posts
Holy catfish batman those are awesome! O_O

What about salamanders? has anyone ever tried one of those with a betta?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Firebellied newts are fine with fish but again, not all salamanders/newts are compatible either due to size or due to poison. I wouldn't put a fire bellied newt with a Betta though, same reasons as ADF.

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
Sounds like a beautiful idea, especially as you have background with plants. Beside a heater, you'll want to have a filter to remove debris and to circulate the heat throughout what will be a shallow tank.

Love to see pics, especially as you're building the paludarium. We can all learn a lot.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I wonder if you could plant rice (!) or otherwise simulate something lovely that represents betta's home environment! Too much fun!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well after seeing your thread yesterday and absolutely falling in love with Paludariums:-D:-D:-D (researching all night) i have found someone near to where i am staying selling this.

I asked her to check if the bottom area below the doors would hold water. She filled it up and left it over night with no leaks. I am very tempted to buy this and slowly start building up a Paludarium.
Am I being a crazy person? I worked out with a bit of maths that the bottom area filled will hold 40L. (10.5gallons) height would only be 6 inches or so.

Sorry if i am intruding on your thread cherryiscream. Let me know if i am. :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Wow, Tacoza, that could sit on the floor!! or slightly above! never seen anything like that before. I can't begin to imagine the flora and fauna you can add! Oh, and yes, one very happy little betta!!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I love love love this idea. Gorgeous.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts