Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm -really- sorry if there already is one of these somewhere -- if so I couldn't find it.

But I was wondering - what about a sticky thread run by admin that is a regional index listing of breeders who are members here?

I live in Melbourne, Australia, and would love to know if there's any breeders in my area. I am aware of one, who I only know about through being a member here (and she has some really lovely fish!). But if there was an index of Australian breeders, I would have a far greater choice, a chance to support other Bettafish.com members by purchasing fish from them/recommending them to friends, and way less risk of buying a diseased betta from the LFS (from whom I do not wish to purchase another fish, ever).

I'm sure there's a lot of people from the US and Canada (and hey, other countries too!) who'd love to know which breeders lived in their area, so they could maybe buy locally from somebody they can trust.

Less stress on the fish/cost to the buyer and seller to ship locally, less risk to the buyer re disease (because who's going to sell manky, sick fish to someone in their own community?) and maybe a way to help out small breeders who belong to the Betta.com community.

Perhaps the listings could just be a name/region (and maybe a brief description of main stock type - HM's, VT's, wild species, etc) and a link to a website or a 'for sale' thread here. With over 35,000 members and more pouring in every day, I would imagine there is a good chance of this being beneficial to all concerned. Most importantly, the bettas.

Good idea? Bad idea? Already done, but I've missed it somehow?

In any case, I'd love to know who the Aussie breeders are here, especially those in my state.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Me too... of course it would depend on how it's managed.
Are we calling "breeders" those who are experimenting with no real definition of what they are working on or people who have succesfully raised a spawn and are actively breeding.

The best way to contact breeders is by joining the International Betta Congress and look at chapters in your area. I know I did a search a while ago for an Australian member and there were a few in Au.
This site is more focused on "pet" bettas but the IBC has many active breeders who either plan to join the show world or are currently sending their fish to shows.

Now, the IBC website (ibcbettas.org) is currently closed for construction (hehe) but it should be back up, new and improved, soon.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
It sounds like a good idea, but as said above you can always look on IBC. It would be very convenient though to have that option on Bettafish.com so I say YES!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
... of course it would depend on how it's managed.
I'd suggest a locked thread with addition by PM to admin?
Maybe make it open to people who've been a member longer than a year.
Have some requirements of inclusion regarding humane shipping, care sheets included, etc.

Are we calling "breeders" those who are experimenting with no real definition of what they are working on or people who have succesfully raised a spawn and are actively breeding.
If they have not successfully raised a spawn, I'd wonder what it is they'd be hoping to provide to customers?

This site is more focused on "pet" bettas but the IBC has many active breeders who either plan to join the show world or are currently sending their fish to shows.
This site's breeders are the people I am suggesting be supported, since they are members of it, and all. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be interested in knowing which Bettafish.com members are local breeders of healthy, attractive fish. Whether these fish meet whatever criteria the show circuit currently places on bettas doesn't really concern me. Mainly as my preference is for veiltails.

I suppose if there's people here who breed "show fish" they could equally be included?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Sounds like a wonderful idea,conveniently located and hopefully easy to access and utilize. It would be very helpful to have such a tool.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I thought a list of the breeders on site would be nice, just to support the forum community.

But if there's regional breeders people would highly recommend for healthy fish/ethical fishkeeping maybe they'd be good to include too?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I think it's a good idea, the only problem with looking up IBC breeders is they only recognize members, and lots of people who breed aren't IBC members, and are not listed. A thread like this could be so specific, it would be wonderful. I hope it gets created!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And perhaps if someone -is- breeding show quality fish (ie, have actually successfully bred and shown fish ) this could be indicated in the PM they send to admin.

So a typical post might look like this:

United States

Arizona

Joe Bloggs
(contact email or ph number)
VT, HM, PK, DT
Show quality
See thread: (link)

California

Jenny Smith
(contact details)
Macrostoma, other wild varieties

Australia

New South Wales

Bill Potato
(contact details)
VT, HM
hobbyist

... etc

·
Registered
36 Posts
Has the project of a list gone any further? I was actually looking for the somethimg like that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Computer glitch.... double posted reply... sorry

·
Registered
150 Posts
Definitely support this thread, especially for members from Australia as importing the fish alone from Thailand into NSW cost $27 for a male HM and $22.50 for a female HM. Let alone the shipping, a pair could total up to over $140.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts