Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Vertebrate Window Organism Ingredient Fin
I have a 55 gallon tank that I was thinking about stocking with a male betta fish, kuhli loaches, neon tetras, Cory catfish, and harlequin rasboras. Would these work together? I know they can all go with betta fish but can they
all go with each other? Also do you think that would be over stocking the tank? Do you have any recommendations of what a should put in there instead?

·
Registered
435 Posts
As I recently posted in response to another query about a betta in a 50 gallon tank:

"50 gallons is a a lot of water for a betta. I find that many bettas are uncomfortable in that much water and that much depth of water, often leading to tail-biting. I've has some become reclusive in 20 gallons. I keep most of mine in 5's 10's and 15's."

In addition, neon tetras actually are not good betta companions. Like many characins, they an be nippy and the flowing fins of your betta can look too delicious to pass up. The rasboras, loaches and corydoras are fine. But again, compatability with a betta is highly individualized and different bettas have different personalities. My concern here is thst in 55 gallons, your betta might be so stressed as to become aggressive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I recently posted in response to another query about a betta in a 50 gallon tank:

"50 gallons is a a lot of water for a betta. I find that many bettas are uncomfortable in that much water and that much depth of water, often leading to tail-biting. I've has some become reclusive in 20 gallons. I keep most of mine in 5's 10's and 15's."

In addition, neon tetras actually are not good betta companions. Like many characins, they an be nippy and the flowing fins of your betta can look too delicious to pass up. The rasboras, loaches and corydoras are fine. But again, compatability with a betta is highly individualized and different bettas have different personalities. My concern here is thst in 55 gallons, your betta might be so stressed as to become aggressive.
[/QUOTE/]
Ok thanks. Would the betta do okay in the 55 gallon alone? Or should I keep it in the 10 gallon? What kind of fish could I put in the 55 if a betta isn't a good idea? I have it cycled and ready to go. I could keep tropical or cold water fish but I'd rather not have saltwater fish.

·
Registered
435 Posts
As I said, in my experience 55 gallons of water is too big for a betta to be comfortable. 10 gallons is a spacious and ideal home for him. All the other fish you mentioend would be fine together without the betta.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts