Betta Fish Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know for possible future consideration. And by "interesting" I mean animals with personality and fun to watch and personable with their human friends. A filter is not a problem but it would be a small tank (3 gallons) as it will be on my desk at work. I am interested in either fish or non-fish. Freshwater only. Thanks for any ideas for my future aquarium friends!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not too personable with their owners, but if you got some dwarf shrimp and pom pom crabs, you wouldn't need a heater, but you'd still need a filter.
https://aquaticarts.com/collections/freshwater-crabs/products/pom-pom-crab
https://aquaticarts.com/collections/freshwater-shrimp
The owners really care about their animals, and it's evident in even just the shipping method. I didn't think the shrimp would be as fun to watch in my community tank, they were really just my scavengers, but they're all really cute and I love watching them zip around the tank! My crabs are little thrill seekers, they like to climb to the highest point in my community tank and catapult themselves to the ground. It's hysterical!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not too personable with their owners, but if you got some dwarf shrimp and pom pom crabs, you wouldn't need a heater, but you'd still need a filter.
https://aquaticarts.com/collections/freshwater-crabs/products/pom-pom-crab
https://aquaticarts.com/collections/freshwater-shrimp
The owners really care about their animals, and it's evident in even just the shipping method. I didn't think the shrimp would be as fun to watch in my community tank, they were really just my scavengers, but they're all really cute and I love watching them zip around the tank! My crabs are little thrill seekers, they like to climb to the highest point in my community tank and catapult themselves to the ground. It's hysterical!
That sounds hilarious! I would probably buy them from my local pet store here rather than have them shipped. Pet Supermarket has some kind of freshwater crabs with one large claw and one small claw... I can't remember the name but it was not Fiddler Crab or Pom Pom Crab.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That sounds hilarious! I would probably buy them from my local pet store here rather than have them shipped. Pet Supermarket has some kind of freshwater crabs with one large claw and one small claw... I can't remember the name but it was not Fiddler Crab or Pom Pom Crab.
I'm just a huge fan of my Pom Poms, they wave their claws in the air and let their Pom Poms catch food that's floating by and they look like cheerleaders. :grin2:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm just a huge fan of my Pom Poms, they wave their claws in the air and let their Pom Poms catch food that's floating by and they look like cheerleaders. :grin2:
LOL! Do they let you handle them? Will they eat from your hand? Do they have much personality and socialize with people?

·
Registered
63 Posts
LOL! Do they let you handle them? Will they eat from your hand? Do they have much personality and socialize with people?
Kind of, you can lift them out of the water, and hold them in your hand and they'll crawl around, all of their food, similar to any other scavenger, is biofilm, or things they catch in their Pom Poms. They won't socialize, but they've got personality.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm having fun teaching one of my Amano shrimp to play the piano. His name is Van.

Teaching the shrimp is easy. Finding a miniature aquatic piano is the tough part.

😙

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kind of, you can lift them out of the water, and hold them in your hand and they'll crawl around, all of their food, similar to any other scavenger, is biofilm, or things they catch in their Pom Poms. They won't socialize, but they've got personality.
They are really cute! Too bad the pet stores around here don't sell them. Know anything about Thai Red Crabs? I think the stores here sell that kind. Would 2 of those in a 3 gallon be good if I can't get the Pom Poms?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Killi fish are a beautiful addition, especially if your lfs can get ahold of them. I'm growing nem. paphilaris Iona right now ^^ a trio should be ok in a 3 gallon with a filter. As long as you plant it and have a lid. Keep in mind killies are short lived

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
If its not illegal where you live, Axolotls are amazing. I used to have them until I moved to a place where they were illegal, had to give them away to a friend ):

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
If its not illegal where you live, Axolotls are amazing. I used to have them until I moved to a place where they were illegal, had to give them away to a friend ):
Axolotls are too large for a 3 gallon tank though, they want to keep the aquatic pet on their desk at work

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh yeah no, you need at least a 10g. I didnt realize the tank size, shrimp is an awesome option, Amano shrimp, Cherry Shrimp. Cherry shrimp are my favorite and then you can add some greens, like moss balls and see them nicely on some black gravel.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I've got some cherry shrimp coming in soon ^^ I'm hoping they do better than the ghost shrimp have

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! Yeah, I was actually reading about ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp (they sell those here), but I was a little disheartened to read that they have such short life spans. A few sources even said as little as a few days to months :(

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Shrimp do need a mature tank because they feed off the biofilm and they don't handle parameter changes very well. But they do look really good in an aquarium , you can find lots of ways to set up a tank for them on YouTube. If you can get them to breed you don't really have to worry about their lifespan

·
Registered
195 Posts
A few sources even said as little as a few days to months :(
If shrimp are dying within a few days, there is a problem with the tank chemistry or the way they were introduced. Usually the shrimp which are available, from a reliable source, are on the young side and just of breeding age. They are not as short-lived as you have been led to believe.

On the whole, keeping shrimp and a Betta in the same tank is tricky. Very heavy planting is about the only possibility for success. That, and ideal water conditions.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If shrimp are dying within a few days, there is a problem with the tank chemistry or the way they were introduced. Usually the shrimp which are available, from a reliable source, are on the young side and just of breeding age. They are not as short-lived as you have been led to believe.

On the whole, keeping shrimp and a Betta in the same tank is tricky. Very heavy planting is about the only possibility for success. That, and ideal water conditions.
When the time comes, I am going to want something with some personality. That's why I love bettas so much! :) It seems to me (watched a lot of videos and did some research) that shrimp do not have much individual pesonality and they are not very reactive to their human friends. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Been thinking about crabs. Maybe Thai Red Crabs or Fidler Crabs... I don't know how much personality they have but they seem very entertaining to watch and really cute antics.

I REALLY want a Dwarf Puffer or two. But I don't know how they would do in a 3 gallon tank. I would definitely have a filter for them and plants, etc....but not sure if 3 gallons would be enough space for them. And it would have to be 2 females because 2 males would fight and 1 male and 1 female would breed...I don't want babies! lol

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
When the time comes, I am going to want something with some personality. That's why I love bettas so much! :) It seems to me (watched a lot of videos and did some research) that shrimp do not have much individual pesonality and they are not very reactive to their human friends. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Been thinking about crabs. Maybe Thai Red Crabs or Fidler Crabs... I don't know how much personality they have but they seem very entertaining to watch and really cute antics.

I REALLY want a Dwarf Puffer or two. But I don't know how they would do in a 3 gallon tank. I would definitely have a filter for them and plants, etc....but not sure if 3 gallons would be enough space for them. And it would have to be 2 females because 2 males would fight and 1 male and 1 female would breed...I don't want babies! lol
Dwarf puffers need 10 gallons for one and you have to add 5 gallons for each additional puffer. They are great pets but need more room

Have you thought about a praying mantis? A 3 gallon terrarium would be great!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dwarf puffers need 10 gallons for one and you have to add 5 gallons for each additional puffer. They are great pets but need more room

Have you thought about a praying mantis? A 3 gallon terrarium would be great!
Does Pet Supermarket or PetCo or PetSmart sell them? I have never seen those at all... Then again, I wasn't looking for them. Do they have personality and are they social with humans?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.