Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave archy his first water change and he was NOT happy (well I did the first part wig him in there and he enjoyed that but when it came time for him to leave his tank that was a huge no) anyways by the time I got him out of his bowl he was light brown with 2 horizontal stripes running down his side and I felt so bad! So I did the water change and put him back and now, not even half an hour later, he is black/blue again. What the heck you little poop I was scared you were gonna die of stress! Anyways what is with stress stripes: what can cause/cure them and how dangerous are they.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
stress stripes appear when the betta is stressed. Some betters are more prone to them than other. My female gets stressed very easily. When I got her, even just walking from the betta section to the cashier she got stress stripes.

They aren't all THAT dangerous if they disappear within a short amount of time. Since this was his first water change he probably wasn't sure what was happening. Bettas are smart and he will learn what is happening as time moves on. There is no "cure" for them because its a natural thing bettas do when they are stressed. Just make sure his water is warm and clean and that you acclimate him every time you add him back into the tank.

how are you taking him out of his tank? Don't use nets because they will damage his fins. Use the cup he came in (if you still have it). I have found that if you lure him to the front or side of the tank and then slowly cup him from behind then it is a lot easier on them.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's is in a 2.? Gallon bowl fully equipped, I tried to catch him in a cup but it's difficult with the curved edges and must have taken me 20 minutes. I used to do this with ryuuji all the time but archnologia is too tiny (1 inch) and can swim away too easily

·
Registered
136 Posts
For awhile I had to use a brine shrimp net to catch my boy because holy canoli he's fast and extremely persistent. He'll scrape his sides to get away from my hands and the plastic cup of death. The first change was easily done by scooping his innocent self with a plastic cup but he learned quickly after that. After a long time trying to catch him in a cup during the second water change, I went out and bought a brine shrimp net to transfer him instead. I didn't want to stress him for that long anymore.

However, after two or three weeks, I learned to use the cup more efficiently and I only use the cup now. My boy is a very strong swimmer (despite being a lazy bum all the other times) and very fast so the trick is to wait for him to swim up for air. They need air at some point! Dip the cup in very quickly and let the suction of the current take him in the cup and scoop him up out of the tank. It takes two or three tries sometimes because he's so darn persistent but they always swim up for air. He's too smart to swim up for food, as I've tried that before too lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.