Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Just got a betta fish and 1 mystery snail. A 1.25 gallon bowl just noticed these (see pic attachment) on the pebbles in bottom of bowl.

I was warned that the snail could still breed if it was a female and was still carrying eggs and sperm even after separation from other snails but the photos I have seen of mystery snail eggs show them in a "clutch" and round. Not at all like what I am seeing.

The betta fish is a male (very colorful with long fins) I am pretty sure. But these really look like larvae of some kind. Hoping not a bug or something. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Obviously new to all of this.

Hoping the attachment of photo worked.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the quick reply. I saw those pics too. I don't think these are those types of eggs. The pics i found on the web that look most like them are house fly eggs. Also gross.

I don't want to over clean the tank - just set it up Saturday. No filtration as of yet. I read that it wasn't good to over clean the tank but I sure don't need an over run of snails, flies or whatever those things will turn out to be!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am totally going to. Do you think they'll wait for me til tomorrow? I have to bring some stuff with me as this tank is in my office.

Thanks so much for the advice!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
should I wait 'til they grow to make sure I get them all? Should I boil the glass beads before I put them back in the tank? My friend showed me a bunch of "slime trails" with tiny tiny little black specks. I am pretty darn sure my snail is laying away.

How many eggs can she carry?!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Those are not pond snail eggs either.

Do you have any live plants at all? Are the only inhabitants a mystery snail and a betta?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a single bamboo stalk (live) and a couple of umbrella plants that I have suspended from the top of the tank as I was told they are only semi aquatic. Only a single betta and the mystery snail. I am thinking that those little white eggs may have been on the glass beads themselves. they had been sitting in a bowl (dry) from the flowers I had gotten like a year ago. but on the windowsill behind my kitchen sink. I washed them off but I don't think well enough. I definitely didn't see them before or I wouldn't have put them in the tank.

Great info about cleaning the unfiltered tank. Tomorrow I will clean out the tank and I think I will take the glass pebbles home and boil them to make sure I kill any other "anythings" that may be hiding on them.

The plants looked pretty healthy when I got them. But safe than sorry. I didn't get these animals to hurt them that's for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts