Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My new Betta 'BP' (BellaPesca) was sold to me as
a pick from a Breeder for a bit extra.
I have only owned VT's and i honestly have no idea what breed he is.

Can you guys help? Im sorry about the Pics, he is really shy.
New plant has the water quite dark aswell.

His Fins, while flowing/ruffled, are quite static, and push back a little when swimming, but
he doesnt change shape a whole lot. He is a younger Betta, so it could be he is till growing.
Only thing that concerns me about him is his dorsal is not prominent or at least is not so far forward

Ima stop typing and let you decide...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,972 Posts
Pictures are not too clear. He doesn't look like a rose - caudal not wavy. So I'm guessing he's a HM.
He looks young (ventrals are shorter than anal).

If you can get a side view picture of him flaring, we might be able to give you better review.

*** When taking pictures, place bright light above him. Don't use flash.

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thx for the one reply :|

I know there terrible pics. But I figured an expert could tell from a glance.

It's just that he doesn't really have a at rest/flare mode like my previous Betta's
He is kind of the same shape, his fins just ruffle when he swims.

His dorsal is far back and blends in to his tail. The more I look, he seems to be some kind of Delta?
Is he at least Male? If he is female, he is very fancy.

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts

I am going to ask you to temper your expectations.
You posted at 1am on a weekday (for the NA region) in a sub forum that is not heavily trafficked by the general membership.
Also, while you may see your betta from hour to hour, minute to minute, members here only have a couple frozen frame of your fish to judge.

·
Banned
22 Posts
Thanks for the helpful reply Veloran. At least indjo took a guess.
I was raised to post in the correct sections of a Forum im new to.

Restraining my expectations sounds vaguely passive-aggressive, but im sure thats just me.

Look I'm over it at this point.

Hes cool <<snip>>, happy n healthy, so Forget about it.

Id delete the thread if i knew how (feel free, as a Mod, to do so)

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts

It's just that he doesn't really have a at rest/flare mode like my previous Betta's
He is kind of the same shape, his fins just ruffle when he swims.

His dorsal is far back and blends in to his tail. The more I look, he seems to be some kind of Delta?
Is he at least Male? If he is female, he is very fancy.

I couldn't even begin to guess what he might be, except a beautiful betta.

I will say that experts, even those who judge show betta, do so by having the fish flare. Unless it's a very obvious tail type such as crowntails, trying to guess the tail type, going by a less then great quality photo of a betta that is not flairing, is irresponsible.

I've moved your thread to Photos since it's more heavily trafficked, and as far as I know you are not planning on breeding or showing your new boy.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yo bro, you literally posted just a couple hours ago, give it a minute haha. No need to get snappy with people. The nice thing about this forum is that sometimes people won't comment if they don't know the correct answer. Rather than comment and give bad or incorrect advice, they might wait until a more experienced person sees it and comments. Not all of us check this forum every hour, and when we do we tend to check more pressing issues first like emergencies and care. We're happy to help, but have a little patience!

And unless its a very different looking type (veiltail, crowntail, plakat, ect.) its hard to tell at a glance unless your betta is flaring. The way you can tell, for example, if its a half moon, is if its tail makes a straight D shape when flared. When a half moon is relaxed, you won't see that straight line from end to end. Every other tail type that isn't the obvious ones mentioned above look pretty darn close to each other and come down to small details. They all look almost exactly the same when the tail is relaxed and droopy. Plus, a lot of the time, you go off of the rays in a tail to determine type. On top of that, a lot of bettas nowadays are a combination of types because of breeding. You may have a delta tail that has a tiny bit of crowning at the top, but isn't a full crown tail. You may have a veiltail like mine that almost seems part delta because their tail doesn't narrow into a point like most veiltails. Tail types aren't species per say, there's a lot of variation.

He personally looks like either a halfmoon or delta to me, but I'm no expert. *shrug*

If you're having trouble getting your betta to flare, try using a mirror or a pencil or finger (up to the glass). You can also try putting your betta in a smaller container for a short while so he has less room to move and you can get a better picture, if you're really having trouble.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Oh sorry, I didn't realize it was a rule not to include links.

Just do a google search of "how to tell female betta tail type" and it should pull up as the top option. That will help you identify tail type based on rays. :)

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your reply guy. im in a different time zone but last time i frequented here (2017) it was lively 24/7

I could never put him in a container just for a photo. Id like to think they only have to endure that once.

My phone cam is all i have and I couldn't get any sort of pic without using a flash.
Those, as bad as they were, were the cream of the crop. So maybe was why i got touchy.

You said female. Lol i definetely asked for a male. Nice example of a female if so.

All the female Betta's ive seen are long bodies, short rigid fins. Almost a different species.

Thanks for taking a guess/narrowing it down

·
Registered
231 Posts
I understand you are looking for male, what I was saying is that you can figure out tail type based on how many rays the tail has. The example I was trying to link to was for females, but the same holds true for males.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts