Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a glorified betta babysitter for a little sweetey that his mom has dubbed "Sprinkles". I feel he is more dignified than that so I either call him Mr. Sprinkles or "Handsome Man", because, face it, he's beautiful (and he knows it!)

I found your site in an effort to be the best bettasitter ever and now that I know more I feel horrible for Mr. Sprinkles. He has an itzy bitzy 2 litre (half gallon) cube with no filter or heater or anything. She left me with only flakes to feed him, but, since I ready your thread, I've started supplimenting with the bloodworms that I got as a treat for my goldies.

Since he's not my fish I can't really go out and buy him the set up he needs, but I don't know what to do. I had an extra plant that I put in for him. He seems to love it. Swims in an out. Hides sometimes. I do 1/2 water changes daily with warmed spring water, but the tank always seems dirty. And he only seems happy when I'm talking to him or when he has a bit of mirror time. (got to defend his measly half gallon from that handsome interloper!)

If I got a heater for my goldfish tank (goldies don't really mind heat if you heat the water slowly, or so it says on the goldfish care site that I was reading. it says it might cause them to spawn....) could I put him in there? or would it be too much for him and or them? (I have 4 goldfish in a 2 gallon tank with a bubble filtration system)

As a Betta foster mom, what can I do to make his 3 month stay with me better???

Here are some pictures so you can better understand what I mean.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
wow... thats not looking to good.... Goldfish REALLY don't do well with heaters. They can actually suffacate them, so I wouldn't get one, but if they didn't bother the betta(and he didn't bother them) I'm sure "Mr. Sprinkles" would be happy to just have more room, a heater isn't always nessisary for bettas, altho they do prefer them. If you decide not to put the betta in with the goldies, I would do a 100% water change for him, scrubbing the sides and rinsing out the rocks really well. If you have any cave type thing or tiny flower pots maybe you could put them in their cuz bettas don't like to be too exposed. continue your water changes 50% every day but maybe every once in a while do a 100 percent change.

Deluxe Plastic Goldfish Bowl - Bowls - Aquariums - PetSmart you could maybe get him something like this cuz its only 5 bucks, and its 2.5g.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I read some place (not sure where) that goldfish like cooler water while we all know bettas like warmer water. I just don't know that I would put them together. That is an awfully small tank to put 5 fish in...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow... thats not looking to good.... Goldfish REALLY don't do well with heaters. They can actually suffacate them, so I wouldn't get one, but if they didn't bother the betta(and he didn't bother them) I'm sure "Mr. Sprinkles" would be happy to just have more room, a heater isn't always nessisary for bettas, altho they do prefer them. If you decide not to put the betta in with the goldies, I would do a 100% water change for him, scrubbing the sides and rinsing out the rocks really well. If you have any cave type thing or tiny flower pots maybe you could put them in their cuz bettas don't like to be too exposed. continue your water changes 50% every day but maybe every once in a while do a 100 percent change.

Deluxe Plastic Goldfish Bowl - Bowls - Aquariums - PetSmart you could maybe get him something like this cuz its only 5 bucks, and its 2.5g.
OK. No PetSmart around here and something like that would probably cost in the neighbourhood of $20+

I'm trying him in with the goldies now. They seem to be ignoring him. He's gone over to the bubble filter a few times and been blown over by the bubbles, but keeps going back (i have the pump set on low... ) I also put in a cup in the bottom of the tank (weighed down with some of the rocks) so he could hide, but he hasn't shown any interest.

How long do I need to watch them to make sure he'll be ok?

on a side note. two of the four goldies are the kinds with long fins and tails and none of them have ever been nipped at. Is that a good sign for MrSprinkles?

about changing the water in his little cube. I did a 100% water change when I was given the fish (I'm the 2nd foster mom. the first one was neglecting him and realized it wasn't the best situation for him so I volunteered to relieve her) and have been doing 50%'s daily ever since... doesn't seem to help though

Hopefully he'll be happy in with the others in the "big" tank.........

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OH! what about feeding in the shared tank. Should I stop giving the goldies their veggie flakes for fear he might eat some? or will he avoid them if I feed the bloodworms at the same time going for the protein source instead?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I do not think this was a good idea. I've heard bad things of putting goldfish and bettas together. And that 2 gallon tank is overcrowded.

I've heard of goldfish nipping at bettas and bettas nipping at goldfish. I've also heard of goldfish thinking the betta was a small female and chasing them around the tank. I think you might have more luck keeping them together in a large tank where they all have their own space.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read some place (not sure where) that goldfish like cooler water while we all know bettas like warmer water. I just don't know that I would put them together. That is an awfully small tank to put 5 fish in...
so at this point it was basically the same water. Both tanks are in the same room and neither have a heater. At 16 litre as opposed to 2 litre it probably has a more stable temp

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just realized I made an error in my 1st post. The tank the goldfish are in (and for now MrSprinkles is having a trial in) holds 8-2litre bottles of water. it's late here (almost 2am) and it seems my brain turned off and forgot the 2litre bit and calculated wrong. The tank is FOUR gallon NOT two.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not think this was a good idea. I've heard bad things of putting goldfish and bettas together. And that 2 gallon tank is overcrowded.

I've heard of goldfish nipping at bettas and bettas nipping at goldfish. I've also heard of goldfish thinking the betta was a small female and chasing them around the tank. I think you might have more luck keeping them together in a large tank where they all have their own space.
Does the fact that it's 4 gallon change anything? Or should I just take him out and put him back in his cube?

don't want to risk anyone's wellbeing

·
Banned
27,608 Posts
I wouldn't house the betta with goldfish. As was already stated, goldfish are coldwater fish and bettas are tropical fish. Also, a half gallon will need to to be changed 100% twice a week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't house the betta with goldfish. As was already stated, goldfish are coldwater fish and bettas are tropical fish.
I understand that goldfish are cold water fish and bettas are tropical. However, both tanks are not heated and are in the same room and therefore the same temperature. So is this still a factor?

Also, a half gallon will need to to be changed 100% twice a week.
I've had him since tuesday night... he got a 100%change Wednesday morning (I needed to get more spring water) and then a 50% change every day since then, and his tank is still dirty.

He seems to be doing ok in the big tank...... should I trust this? Can I go to sleep yet? (2:20am and I have to be up in 5 hours) Or should I call the whole thing off and put him back in the .5 gallon cube?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I think the 4 gallon is way to small for even one goldfish. They get really large and need a bigger space.
I wouldn't keep the Betta in with the goldfish at all. Not only are the temps different, it could end up getting ugly in the end. I think him being in the 1/2 by himself is way better then in an overcrowded 4 gallon.

·
Banned
27,608 Posts
I guess you can leave them together if you have no heater. I don't understand why your water would get so dirty after all the water changes. Are you using a water conditioner?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I still am against keeping them together. I really do think it'd be okay if the tank was a lot larger...4 gallons is just still overcrowded for 5 fish I think. Because goldfish are larger fish...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I think it is fine to keep them together if they are getting along, you have plenty of hiding spaces, and the temps are the same. You just have to work with what you have got, and I think a betta in the four gallon would be just fine, I have kept a goldfish in a 10 gallon with guppies and a betta (I had nowhere else to put it, and it needed a temporary home) and they all did just fine together. just make sure there are enough hiding places for the betta, And the goldfish, Turn off the light and the fish will be less stressed.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Rule of thumb.

1" of fish per gallon of water.

A betta counts as a 2" fish. Gold fish are 2-3" fish. So you have 14" of fish in a 4 gallon tank, there fore you are 10 gallons short.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
ya.... rule of thumb doesn't always work tho.

In the long run I would reccomend that you get your goldfish a larger tank tho because fancy goldfish can get up to 8 inches long, and common goldfish get get over 18 inches long!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
ya.... rule of thumb doesn't always work tho.

In the long run I would reccomend that you get your goldfish a larger tank tho because fancy goldfish can get up to 8 inches long, and common goldfish get get over 18 inches long!!!!
Hmmm... Maybe I should look into getting them a new tank and then sprinkles can live in their old one....

Plus, I think sprinkles attacked zahava's tail while I was out. she has a tear in it that wasn't there before, so he's moved back into his cube.... Don't want him to be there though... its not fair for him to be in such a small space

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
ya... poor guy! If you are looking for a new tank for your goldfish, or Sprinkles try craigslist, it has some really great, really cheap items!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ya... poor guy! If you are looking for a new tank for your goldfish, or Sprinkles try craigslist, it has some really great, really cheap items!
Nothing on craigslist Jerusalem.. Checked some other community sites and all I could find was a 40 gallon tank... a bit more tank than I need...

as a status update. MrSprinkles is back in his cube and is making bubbles... so I guess he's happy. Still on the look out for a bigger tank for the goldies and if I find one then sprinkles can move into the goldies' old one. But at least he's happy

1 - 20 of 27 Posts