Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted a baby betta fish from Pet co & I wasn't sure what was good for them to eat, I have frozen plankton & I'd like to know if they can live of that & how much I should give him/her?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
No, they cannot live on that.

You need to get frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms (them up before feeding), frozen daphnia. Feed them VERY small meals as often as possible (around 3 meals a day).

do you have a heater? Babies need water than is 80-82 (warmer than an adult betta). they also need A LOT more water changes. Probably one ever 2-3 days since baby admit a hormone that stunts their growth.

·
Reference Team
706 Posts
Well actually plankton is a nutritious food they could live on it .. Seeing as plankton I'm itself is a diverse diet I don't see how it could be bad till it's older and can eat NLS or something .

There also are NLS micro pellets which are great but I think plankton is still worthy of adding to the diet since you have it

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Reference Team
706 Posts
For brine shrimp hatching I believe is the question ? About aeration. That is a good idea but you still can hatch without bit you do need marine salt to hatch

I'd not stress right away as I promise you the plankton you have is more then likely more nutrient rich then brine . And you'll want to gut load brine with chlorella or spirulina before feeding to your fish otherwise it's a really nutritionally empty food

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
+1 to Agent :)

Reactions: Agent13

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok should I be worried that (s)he is laying near the bottom of the tank with her fins closed a lot right now or is (s) he just resting?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ok should I be worried that (s)he is laying near the bottom of the tank with her fins closed a lot right now or is (s) he just resting?
Depends, do you have lights on near the tank and also what time is it? I would wait for a day and then see if he/she is moving around etc.

I always leave my lights on for about 7-8 hours, and then dim them and finally off at night so it's dark. I've spotted my betta resting on the bottom of the substrate (sometimes even laying down like it has died) but if I turn on the lights or shine a light on in the tank for awhile it'll get back up and try to figure out why I woke it up.

Clamped fins is never a good sign, it mostly means that you need to do a water change since there are toxins that are making your betta not feel "comfortable". How often do you change the water?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Also let it be known that PetCo babies are very unstable when it comes to their health. They've just been through a huge trauma of being separated from their spawn, shipped and sat on a cold shelf...this lends a hand to their usual shortened life spans and quick deaths. Many will still live to adulthood but even still, they generally never live as long as they should. I hope your baby is fine but I just wanted to warn you.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Crushed pellets are fine too if they're of good quality; NLS, Omega One, or Aqueon are all good and fine to use :) but if you are able to use frozen foods, it's generally better to use both ^_^

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I change the water everyday but right now I have him in a small temporary tank since im out of state but when I get home (if he makes it :( ) I will put him in a 1 1/2 gallon tank with a filter & a better heater & try to get him some micro pellets. I think he might just be cold but im trying everything I can to keep it a constant temperature but hes swimming to the top & just sitting there not moving at all I'm really worried now

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.