·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Look like Marble Turquoise Dragons

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah you're right. But what about the female?... She has black fins...

Will those black fins carry on to the next gen?.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Umm no they're not siblings. I bought the male 2 months ago.i just got her 2weeks ago. She was a new shipment to the betta shop near my house.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Umm no they're not siblings. I bought the male 2 months ago.i just got her 2weeks ago. She was a new shipment to the betta shop near my house.
Well, my understanding of betta genetics may be incorrect, so someone can come along and correct me if I'm wrong; but I think the fact they're not siblings means that the chance of fry having black fins will be less, since the male won't carry those genes. You'll probably still have some with black fins, though.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Well, my understanding of betta genetics may be incorrect, so someone can come along and correct me if I'm wrong; but I think the fact they're not siblings means that the chance of fry having black fins will be less, since the male won't carry those genes. You'll probably still have some with black fins, though.
more correct than incorrect. the marble gene might play a critical role here, especially if it influences the black layer. male more or less looks like a solid color, so we know he might carry the redloss gene, but hard to tell with black since the blue covers it all up. female looks like she's carrying the non-red gene, but unless the male is carrying it as well, expect red to show up on all the kids.

·
Registered
7 Posts
They can potentially be siblings or half given the fact you bought from the same shop. So unless the person is using 100 different betta breeders to supply the shop, they are probably related particularly after such a short time frame.

Only way to tell for sure is breeding. If there's a lot with black trimmed fins, they're related. If not, then they're not related.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts