Betta Fish Forum banner

1041 - 1060 of 1521 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yesterday was a not fun day. Had a lot of trouble sleeping, plus lightheaded and sore throat from being sick. The boy with the guppy tank upstairs refused to take care of his fish, so my roommate finally brought the tank down to be taken care of by me.

When I say she brought it down, I mean, we bought new substrate, emptied everything out, washed it all with hot water, replanted it, and then let the water get warmed by the new heater. The guppies don't have a filter right now, but I'm hoping to eventually get sponge filters for all the tanks.

In the meantime, today I fed the fishies and checked the levels. The quarantine tank with Lopez was fine, as was Roanoke's tank. Guppies, predictably, had ammonia, so I did a partial water change and spilled half a gallon onto the carpet. Whoops.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Poor guppies :(

·
Registered
78 Posts
Poor guppies :(
They're out in the main room with me now and I've been watching them. There's 3 boys in a 10 gal (I call it the frat house) and they've been swimming all over the tank, where whenever I went upstairs to check on them, they were scooting about on the top only.

I'm pretty proud of the new tank's setup (I didn't decorate, but I did get the new substrate for easier poop finding) and found Gemdancer chilling in the helmet. Funny thing is, they seem more interested in the little bowl I put in to pour water in than the helmet at first.

I'm eventually hoping to get some salt and pepper cories and bury the bowl further so they have a place for food.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I'm glad you rescued them from their previous owner. I feel bad about them not receiving the care they need before you brought them down.

Mine are all over their 10 gallon. They're very curious and in the way when I do anything in the tank. You'll really enjoy yours. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I hope so. Guppies aren't my fave, but I don't like the fact that Suntail and Aubie seem to be sick already. I feel kind of responsible, but I was only trying to improve their quality of life before the boy showed he gave less than no pebbles about the fish and only wanted them to be cool.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
water change day for little Tike.I really hate wrecking his bubblenests each week (he is so great at making them),but once his new IAL is in place he gets started on it again.Gravel vac'd and wiped behind the heater too.Very nice and clean.Tike is such a cutie and very calm with his wc. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Coming to the conclusion that the guppies aren't sick, just bloated from constipation and being overfed while upstairs. Plan on feeding them a mixture of daphnia and flakes until they're not so bloated and Aubie is swimming more.

Lopez is still acting fine, just bored and unhappy that he's not in ideal conditions, and he's just got a couple more days before I put him into a tank. Kinda nervous about Roanoke's tank, but he's handled the snails okay so far. And if he doesn't handle Lopez well, that's why I got him as a boy, to put him in the frat house.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Woke up and found one of my guppies who had eaten her tail off passed on. Everyone else looks fine, though. Did water change and vacuumed gravel yesterday.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Fed and observed. Mr. Fish has some regrowth where he devastated his fins. Sunset's pregnancy is getting more and more advanced. I thought I could see eyeballs through her belly. She's still a round shape, so I haven't put her in the birth net yet. I moved some of the new plants from Mrs. Fish's tank to Mr. Fish's. I looked it up, and it's a high light plant, now low light like the employee said. It'll make a nice wall some day. I put a new kind of anubias in Mrs. Fish's tank to give her some more floor cover. I just saw her squeezing between a rock and the old anubias, so I may have to move the rock a little.

Mrs. Fish and the guppies loved their mysis shrimp day. Mr. Fish had one pellet. He did better on blood worm day, but he can't eat just blood worms every day!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
water change day for Shiloh.Gravel vac'd and replaced his IAL with a nice new fresh one,also swooshed out the filter sponge.Shiloh was zooming around everywhere very happily.Sweet boy! :mrgreen:

Also did a mini clean on Arrow's tank with the baster. :cool:

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Yesterday was mid week water change. Today, I took out Mr. Fish's hide, as he uses it as a toilet. It's really hard to clean without spilling feces all over the water column, so it has to go! I need another plant to put in the back there.

Yesterday, I put the super pregnant guppy Dawn in the birth net. She's getting square-y and nipping the other fish. I have java moss and some floating java fern and wisteria to give her cover. She's still eating like a champ, but I'm hoping she'll be used to the area and comfortable when she starts giving birth. I thought it would be last night, but she still appears super pregnant.

Mrs. Fish is looking lovely today. I might get one more anubias nana for her tank.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Instead of anubias, I went ahead and upgraded her whole tank to 5.5 gallons. The filter and heater are I was using are both good for that size, and I've felt guilty about keeping her in the 2.5 gallon quarantine tank for so long. It's a little more open than she's used to, but she seems to be adapting nicely. I'm hoping the java ferns take over soon and give her a bit more cover, and I may add some more crypts over the next few pay checks.

Now, the 2.5 gallon will be a bare bottom hospital/quarantine/grow out for guppy fry to be sold. For now, it's empty until I have time to disinfect it. I also ordered a new heater for it, and I need to find some sort of shelf or stand sturdy enough to support it.

I released Dawn from the birthing net. I'll have to catch her in labor and try again. Sunset is starting to square off, too. The otos all look fat and healthy.

I put a new anubias (taller than the nana in there) to fill up the area near the filter and heater a bit. I found he was pooping in his cave, and it's really hard to clean that without spilling poop everywhere. I removed it yesterday. Some of his crypts seem like they're starting to grow, which will fill up the area between the bottom and floating plants better.

·
Registered
78 Posts
One of the guppies died. The only good? thing about it, it was the one with fin rot, and it had been getting worse despite my treatments.

I'm going to be working on getting the salt out of the tank and cleaning things up. Meanwhile, the betta my friend bought for herself has a little teeny bit of fin rot on the tip of his tail (came like that), so I changed his water out and am keeping an eye on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I watched Morpho the betta settle in, talked to him, took embarrassingly bad pictures and wondered if his pellets are too big (NLS 1mm) as he grabbed one and carried it around, but I'm not sure he ate it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I took Alex out of QT, (yay!!!!) and sanitized all sorts of stuff. Did an 80% water change on Buddy's tank.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I fed everyone pellets and the last remnant of defrosted fish goop for breakfast. The guppies got a defrosted pea for lunch, and everyone got defrosted blood worms for dinner. Lots of bellies today!

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Today is water change day. I also cleaned filters and turned up the heat in all of the tanks (the house got down to 58 during the night, so everyone's temperatures dropped 2 degrees). I dosed the liquid plant fertilizers and fed everyone the rest of the defrosted blood worms for breakfast. Next will be daphnia and mysis shrimp.

The guppies are all squared up, and I can see eyeballs/heads through their skin. They should have another week or so before birth, but I'm keeping my eyes on them.

Mr. Fish actually came out for breakfast today (yesterday he hid in his plants but ate a bloodworm that I dropped by his face). The whole bottom of his IAL is a bubble nest. I'm going to feel bad when I take it out during Thursday's water change. :p

I had a lot of problems with newly planted plants during water change. Their roots haven't taken yet, and the slightest bump with the vacuum or current from adding water (I use the plants as a buffer) made them float free.

I moved a piece of marimo from the guppy tank to Mrs. Fish's tank. It keeps getting sucked into the gravel vacuum in the other tank, and this way I can see it better. It looks like a strangely shaped carpet. I may get another and cut it into a bunch of little carpet pieces.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Finished re-painting the bookshelf that my petco bookshelf tank sits on. This led to a large water change and room re-arrange. Now everyone is home in their new spots and hopefully not too thrown off for the experience, which means brine shrimp for Jake and some zucchini for the amano shrimp.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Awesome!

I found some time to bleach out the quarantine tank, and the heater for it should come in tomorrow. My plants aren't arriving until November, but at least I can finally quarantine them (and any animals in the future) properly.

1041 - 1060 of 1521 Posts