Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so from my previous thread some people will know that my first attempt at breeding gandalf and lily didn't quite go to plan.
Gandalf is now refusing to build a bubblenest, but lily is showing signs of wanting to breed with him!Do I take them out recondition and try again, or do I give them another go without the bubblenest and see where it goes?
I don't understand why he wont build a nest, when she is showing such posotive signs!I conditioned them both for two weeks on live foods every day twice a day, but gandalf just doesn't seem to care!

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
My make didn't build a bubblenest until the female was let out into the aquarium. If its heavily planted then I would let her go. After about 2 days and no bubblenest I would then seperate them. Or if the male is being overly aggressive and attacking the female. Showing off and a few nips in the tail for both fish is normal

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks mo!I will go out today and get a few more bushy plants and then let her out!Thanks!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks, will have to wait another day, the shop wasnt open when I went down earlier!also I will have to clean the breeding tank, it is filthy after just 3 days!looks like even the best layed plans don't work out sometimes.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
This is just my opinion but I would not put hornwort in a spawn tank unless you can provide optimal conditions for it. In my experience it is sensitive and the slightest change will cause it to drop all its needles. Trying to remove hundreds of needles to prevent an ammonia spike and not suck up teeny fry is not fun. Java moss is the best stuff imo....

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok will keep that in mind when buying!Thanks for your input :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
You probably don't even need to buy anything... just put some obsticals in the tank for the female to hide... small cups laying on their side... anything water safe.

And use clean aged clorimine free water.

Put them together just before nightfall, turn off the lights, and check them in the morning (from a distance). He may slap her around a bit, but that is natural. You have to be brave with them if you want to breed.....

Jeff.:)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thanks jeff, I will do that!He has started building again so hopefully it will be third time lucky!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lily has been released and all is going well, I added a few more plants, and he is being a LOT less violent this time. One question:Should lily be leading him to the very small nest?I thought it was him that was supposed to be leading her...oh well, whichever way it is supposed to happen, it's working this way :p

·
Registered
639 Posts
Lily has been released and all is going well, I added a few more plants, and he is being a LOT less violent this time. One question:Should lily be leading him to the very small nest?I thought it was him that was supposed to be leading her...oh well, whichever way it is supposed to happen, it's working this way :p
Sometimes she will look ready, and he is still in that chase her around mode. I think he needs to be convinced that she is indeed submissive. If it looks like she is being too bossy, he'll have to slap her around a bit... Just their way is all... Just try not to distract them.

Jeff.:)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm feeling very proud of myself, have managed to only check them once every hour from very far away!Not actually sure if anything happened yet because I was trying to stay as far away as possible, but I think they were trying (and failing) to embrace!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Unfortunately yes I do, Lily has been removed, he has beaten her to h*ll and back and they haven't bred, can fish bleed?because there was red stuff on the top of the water when I removed her.I will breed her with my other male, he is a lot calmer, Gandalf is WAY too aggressive for lily to breed with, I will breed Gandalf with jade instead, or another female if I decide to get one!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.