Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to this forum, I've had my fish for a couple of years now and have been able to take care of him pretty well so far. He has had a small 1 gallon tank with a filter for a long time, but recently I switched him over to a 3 gallon aquaponic tank. I was hesitant to switch him because I'm not an expert on nitrogen cycles, but ultimately I thought he'd be much happier in the bigger tank.

I thought I should let the tank run for a while to let the cycle start, but the instructions didn't say to do that, so I just followed the instructions. The tank seems to work alright- the plants only took a couple of days to grow, and the water seems fairly clean.

It has been about two weeks since I switched the tank, and I don't think I've seen my fish eat at all that whole time. At one point, some of the plant seeds fell into the tank and I saw him lunge for one (it was too big so he didn't get it in his mouth luckily!) so I'm assuming he must have an appetite. I know fish get stressed easily, and at first I thought he was afraid of the new current or maybe he didn't understand that he was being fed from a different location, but its been two weeks now!

Aside from that, I have a little pineapple house in the tank, and when I first moved him in he hid in that almost all day every day, which was super cute and is what he has always done (he had a fake plant before to hide under, though). I also have a suction leaf at the top of the tank, and for the past week he's been sitting on it, which I thought seemed normal. For the past couple of days now, though, he's been staying at the top of the tank in the corner, right under the leaf, and not doing anything. If I take the lid off the top of the tank or anything like that he'll swim to the bottom again, but the fact that he's staying at the top so much worries me. He isn't completely vertical, but his face is up in the corner of the tank and he doesn't move so I'm worried that this is a death hang. When I first noticed him hanging out at the top, I did a 50% water change, but his behavior seemed the same. I'm about to do another water change now, but I am concerned that there is a problem with the aquaponic system. I haven't been able to find many posts from people with aquaponic tanks, so I don't know what to do! Can anybody help?

I'm a college art student and the past two weeks have been finals weeks for me, which means I'm extremely tired and have temporarily lost my sense of time, so my timeline might be off, but its approximate. I've definitely been worried for the entire 2 weeks though. Oh, and his name is Jeffery.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 3
Does it have a filter? Sort of.. just switched to an aquaponic tank
Does it have a heater? no
What temperature is your tank? not sure, room temperature is about 70 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? none

Food:
What food brand do you use? sometimes TetraBetta Floating Mini Pellets, sometimes Zoo Med's micro floating mini pellets, and some tiny organic pellets came with the tank
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Twice a day, 2-3 pellets

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? About every other week
What percentage of water did you change? 100%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? dip out water and rinse/wipe off gravel
What additives do you use? aquarium salt, BettaSafe water conditioner; D-Klor Natural Declorinator came with the tank but I haven't used it, and Freshwater Tidy-Tank sludge eradicator came with tank but I haven't used that either (it says to put it in the water one week after the tank has been running)

Water Parameters:
don’t know

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? about 2 weeks ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? it has not
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? he just sits at the top of the tank, won’t eat
Is your Betta still eating? don't think so
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? 50% water changes
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? he’s had fin rot before, and pretty bad popeye once- didn’t think he’d make it but he bounced back
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? 2.5 years, not that I know of

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Does it have a heater? no
What temperature is your tank? not sure, room temperature is about 70 degrees
You need a heater, It needs to be set at 80F, Your fish is cold it will get sick and die without a heater.

Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? About every other week
You need to be changing water at least once a week depending on ammonia levels.

What percentage of water did you change? 100%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? dip out water and rinse/wipe off gravel
100% water changes are not good for the fish, do 50%. Washing the gravel and stuff crashes any cycle you may have had, a light vacuum of the gravel is all you need.

BettaSafe water conditioner
Use this as per instructions.

Tidy-Tank sludge eradicator
This is junk at best, Do not use it.

aquarium salt,
I only use salt as a dip or bath I never add it to my main tank.

Water Parameters:
You need to get a water test kit API master freshwater kit is not bad.

and some tiny organic pellets came with the tank
Throw them out you don't know what they are.

TetraBetta Floating Mini Pellets
Wheat Flour, Fish Meal, Wheat Gluten, Potato Protein, Corn Starch, Soybean Oil, Corn Gluten, Shrimp Meal, Dried Yeast, Monobasic Calcium Phosphate, Lecithin, Algae Meal, Yeast Extract, Ascorbic Acid (Source Of Vit. C), Inositol, Niacin, A-Tocopherol-Acetate (Source Of Vit. E), Riboflavin-5-Phosphate (Source Of Vit. B2), L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Stabilized Vit. C), Choline Chloride, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source Of Vit. B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source Of Vit. B6), Vitamin A Palmitate (Source Of Vit. A), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source Of Vit. K), Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Cholecalciferol (Source Of Vit. D3), Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Cobalt Acetate. Color Includes: Annatto Extract, Beta-Carotene, Red 3, Canthaxanthin. Ethoxyquin As A Preservative
This food is rubbish it has too many fillers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.