Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Friends

Its been a long time since i visited the forum, i have recently purchased these Betta fish and
planing to breed them what you guys thing of the pair.

My only concern is the female is bigger then the male will this be a problem

Please let me know your comments

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's worth a shot, but keep an eye on them. The male should ideally be larger than the female, as a smaller male will have difficulty wrapping a larger female. If the male cannot wrap the female, I suggest separating them for a while, feeding them up and seeing if the male can catch up in size. I love the colors though. I have a batch of what I hope are some copper black orchid crowntail fry growing out right now. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Artemis had a larger body than Pokey, Pokey still managed to breed her ^^ you seem to get more infertile eggs because the wrap is harder to perfect but once they get it they are golden

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bigger females will breed to smaller males. Just make sure both are in breeding mode before you release them.

Make sure you have plans on rehoming potential fry.

Hi Indjo,

I have already spoken to a few people regarding the Fry and I have also made arrangements
To host them, currently my female has already got a fairly noticeable egg spot, but still no breeding stripes, I don’t want to rush into things so I am giving them time, the female is extremely active when she sees the male like she goes nuts active :grin2:, and I am feeding them a good protein diet.

·
Super Moderator
6,434 Posts
Some males will never make nests and some females do not show breeding bars until she is with male. Light colored females often do not show breeding bars.

If female's tank is big enough, you can determine if she is just aggressive or if she wants to breed - in both cases they go nuts when they see another betta.

Fighting mode : will flare but stay in that position or follow opponent. After a while, betta may go nuts trying to bite opponent. Glass surfing, biting glass, etc.

Breeding mode:
Flare but will swim all over the tank in a wavey/"S" style. Then return to flare again and do the same ritual. After a while the bettas might try to go through the glass. Males might move to fighting mode and start biting the glass. . . . So make sure you pay attention during the first few minutes - what/how are they acting.

If male is free in the breeding tank and female is in jar, she might look aggressive because she wants to follow the male.

Watch youtube videos and compare fighting and breeding behavior. Once you have better understanding of their body languange, release the female and see how she reacts. If she actually wants to fight, immediately remove her. But if she is showing flirting movements, let them be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.