Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my tank as of right now. I have a few stalks of hornwort, anacharis and java moss. An internal filter, heater and sponge filter as soon as the sponge filter is cycled I am removing the internal filter. I'm thinking it's a bit crowded right now, but was thinking after I remove the internal filter it might be okay.

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
Oh it looks great! How big is it? Looks big to me. ;)

I love the tree stump item you have in there. <3

-------

A little tip for you on the sponge filter, you can use it with an airstone to make more bubbles and thus, more flow. You will need to take it apart so you can put the airstone inside.

Here is a youtube video showing how the airstone is attached to the inside: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlw-i-RO5aA

It helped me make more bubbles with less surface disturbance. ;)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Well, I know nothing about bioload (how many fish/critters you can have in a tank that size) but I do love how it looks. :)

I think you have the same sponge filter I do. Looks just like it anyway! Though mine looks huge in my 5 gallon tank. LOL!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are axelrod cories only get about 1.75-2(max) inches. The tank has been stable for almost a week now. I decided I wanted a sponge filter for it for less current on the Betta.

Oh and thank you so much for the tip with sponge filter I was pulling my hair out lol. Right now I have the tube just above the water slightly tilted to keep the agitation down. Will pick up an air stone tomorrow. :)

According to aqadvisor I'm like 78ish on the capacity for the gallons and 100% filtration (the reason I wanted to switch to the sponge)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Your welcome! I was reading up on sponge filters and just discovered it the other day myself. The air stone will make a big difference, it did for me! This is why I love the internet, you can find out so much. :)

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I'd definitely get more anacharis, because it looks so lovely and vibrant against that sand. I'd probably also put a java fern behind that fake rock in the back left corner. :)

That is some pretty sand. What is it?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I got it from the local fish shop. That is Stony River premium aquarium sand. I know I could have used regular play or pool sand. This stuff was just so soft and smooth I love playing in it lol. Not to mention it was the smallest granule size I could find. The company also specializes in colored sand apparently. http://estesco.com/aqua.html

Oh and the rate the Anacharis grows I don't think I'll have to actually buy more. I have only had it about a week and have had to trim and replant it. I'm hoping to plant my other tank from it. Not to save the money, but just to use it as a mark for saying I successfully grew something even if it is one of the easier plants lol. I'm hoping to do the same with the Hornwort. I may work a Java Fern into the mix though right now the spot you recommended is being took by a Hornwort.

·
Registered
785 Posts
My tank is heavily planted compared to yours, if gives my fish plenty of places to hide if they were to be chased.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I said "compared to". I, in no way, said that mine was heavily planted. I am just waiting for my plants to grow so that I don't have to buy more plants only for them to out grow my tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts