Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spartan is an orange(ish) 2.5 year old male, quite good with children (by that I mean platy fry!!!). I thought he was a HM something, but "guess not". Have yet to get a perfect flaring picture as he likes to move, but his fins usually laps over, and his back fin used to be rounded... Thank Mr. Muncher -.- He is just over 2.5 inches including tail (slightly bigger than my giant female), and yes as seen in one picture he IS captain of the sunken ship :lol:

Now Crayola Colors is a tri-colored betta, his fins are much much longer than any other betta I have owened. Actually in the bowl he was bought from, he didn't fit like the others - his tail fin was always against the side of the bowl :shock: His flaring, showed me he has spikey tail ends. I have yet to catch him flaring at home!! I guestimate he is longer than Spartan if only because of tail... I really don't know what he is. He really looked like a HM full in the pet store when I saw him flaring at the other males. Sorry, he doesn't like the camera. I did try getting pictures lol :roll:

·
Registered
94 Posts
They're so pretty!!! :blueyay:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'd watch that spot on Spartan... I have a female betta who had a little spot like that (same color and everything) and it started to grow out. I think what she has is a tumor but I can't be sure. She's still alive and super active though.

Just a heads up. Hope it's not the same. >_<

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
They both appear to be veil tails to me. They both have the downward droop like a pony tail. If Spartan wasa halfmoon cross it would look more like a delta tail, which is triangular. A full halfmoon would be a D shape. And as far as Crayola Colors goes, the spikes on his tail are normal for a veil tail. Most veil tails have all sorts of geneology in them and he may have crowntail waaaaaayyyy back, but if he were a crowntail cross he'd have a lot longer spikes. And his fins would look more tattered. They're both very handsome fish. Nothing wrong with veil tails.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
They're both veil tails... no halfmoon what so ever. Both only have two branches per ray. They're considered multicolors and I agree with the post above that that blue spot looks like many I've seen that have turned into tumors so watch out.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I have watched that spot. First it was a marking, then it seemed to have grown a bit wider. Yet you can see it through the other side faintly... I have yet to see any irregular lumps onto the other side (which I will note I saw Admiral have, same area, just no spot). He had it since he was a lil' guy, about 6 months old. And obviously there is nothing you can do for tumors on fish so not much I can do.

And look at the picture of Spartan by the ship... I have noticed this too!! See the small bumps on the spot? That has been new since about 6 months ago. How fast do tumors progress anyways? I have yet to have a problem, which is good. He IS 2.5 years, so he has some years in him :) .... a few, not some, at least.

sorry for double post... but...

Here is a question!! Is the tumor genetic? Because I have tried breeding him once (his first time) which I expected not to turn out as it WAS his first time, as it was the female's. Because if it is I mind as well know D: Colors however has no problem, no spot, no lumps, nothing :) Both pretty darn healthy fishies.

Also, how do they get the longer tail on VT, like C.C has? His is enormously long. His nearly identical sibling brother has even LONGER fins!! yet he was not very...lively.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Honestly, I would not breed him if I were you. You can't have any idea if the tumor is genetic or not, and that's not something you want to risk. If you are dead set on breeding, I would say breed a fish that does NOT have such an obvious disability. You have no idea how breeding him would affect him or his offspring. It would be a terrible shame to have to cull an entire spawn if it did turn out to be genetic...

·
Banned
827 Posts
I would not breed any fish with a questionable spot like that, it looks very much like a tumor.

And both of those fish are pretty obvious veiltails. Any spawn with a halfmoon parent and you will get delta tail and super delta, halfmoon if you are lucky. So he is not a halfmoon cross, that is full veiltail.

A delta and super delta will be a triangular shape. Their tails have the classic veiltail droop, not triangular at all.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
..why would you breed a veiltail with what is a deformity or tumor? :[

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I agree with what Code Red said. IF there is ANY chance that it is genetic (which since he's had it since you got him I'm assuming it is) I would NOT breed that fish.

Betta's fins get longer as they grow older. With proper care and if they do not become a tail biter (another reason to not breed a fish)

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well then Madame is basically a useless female :( because she took to HIM and ONLY him. I tried her next to Dusk, Colors, my friend's betta Boots - she only gave her vertical lines, plumpness, interest, wiggling, all that to HIM. Which means she, who has completely healed (in a few days o_o) after the first attempted spawn, who I really wanted to breed... I can't, because she won't.

edit: See now I never knew until NOW it was a tumor. Just thought it was his marking. He is pretty good with so many diverse fish, including guppies (gasp), his colors are unique, and he really is good to his female - and I don't know what my Colors is like.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Next to? What do you mean next to? To really know if a pair will spawn they have to be conditioned and placed in a spawning situation. Fish don't breed on sight. They base readiness to breed off of pheromones each other lets off in the water.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I mean that she showed readiness before I even conditioned them!!!!!! Separated by breeder's net, she showed STRESS when near (aka next to) Dusk, or Colors. She chose Spartan plain and simple.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Well then Madame is basically a useless female :( because she took to HIM and ONLY him. I tried her next to Dusk, Colors, my friend's betta Boots - she only gave her vertical lines, plumpness, interest, wiggling, all that to HIM. Which means she, who has completely healed (in a few days o_o) after the first attempted spawn, who I really wanted to breed... I can't, because she won't.

edit: See now I never knew until NOW it was a tumor. Just thought it was his marking. He is pretty good with so many diverse fish, including guppies (gasp), his colors are unique, and he really is good to his female - and I don't know what my Colors is like.
A useless fish? I'm sorry, but that's extremely harsh. No creature is useless just because of it's willingness/unwillingness to breed. She can make a fine pet, and pets bring so much joy into a household. Her life isn't any less good because she hasn't bred. If you're so intent on breeding her, get another male. But don't breed her with that male with the tumor, it sounds like it's genetic. With the tumor, and his age, breeding would probably be much to hard on his system anyways. As far as his lifespan goes, I had a betta with a tumor, and he was about 2.5-ish years old when it started growing, and he lasted about six months with it. Eventually it blocked his internal organs. But his was internal and non-genetic so I can't say for sure what will happen with yours.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By useless, I know it sounded harsh, but I mean I would have really really really really really (x 10 more) have liked to have her genes passed on to fry... she has mettalic blue and green flakes on an ebony body... But she refuses to take to any other male I have had, or do have. But it doesn't matter now since the tank she is in, one of the youngster female bettas HAS ICH so now I have to fight off the ich, before even thinking of breeding anyone.

"her life isn't any less good" again. yeah worded wrong MY BAD.

·
Banned
827 Posts
You really can't base her willingness to breed with another male just b/c she stresses at them at first, or shows bars to a certain boy. They have to be properly conditioned and properly introduced.

A pair that seem to hate each other, can breed willingly after a day or two of flirting.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol I just found it funny (and a bit scary) when I had her in a container, (soon after transferred to her tank) she was beside Spartan's tank. Aaaaand she tried jumping INTO his tank! But of course it is a lot higher than her container was sooo she landed on my table -.-;; scooped her back into her container and she acted like nothing happened... fish are weird.

that's why we love them.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I recommend doing a bit more research before embarking on any breeding adventures. I have 3 stunning AB boys from Thailand and briefly looked into it thinking it would be a shame to not pass their lovelyness on.I was quickly overwhelmed and threw away the idea. In order for it to be done ethically, a solid understanding of genetics, fry care, money for supplies and a plan for the off spring is the minimum "must". I would wait until you find a male with no obvious health issues.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts