·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And if it wont work can i have some suggestions on what might??

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you care you will post..... T_T

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of any fish in very small containers, but it wouldn't be abnormal to have a 1.5 gallon, lots of people do it.

You would need some kind of heater though, for that.

I personally have a huge betta clan in a 75 gallon community tank (Males, tons of females, no aggression) and they couldn't be happier. The bigger the better imo, but that would work.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yah i would like a bigger one but i cant.... i have a link in the first post above what do you think of it (the tank)??

·
Registered
10 Posts
could probably do better on your own. Silk plants are good, avoid plastic as they can tear up your bettas fins. They also dont like current - an air pump with a hang on filter in a 1.5 gallon is going to be very stressful for the betta.

If you needed to keep it simple / cheap - just get yourself a 1.5 gallon bowl, get a mini heater, set up some silk plants and call it a day.

If you felt more ambitious you could do the same with some live plants. There's some very cheap easy stuff that will live in very low light that will make your betta much happier and improve water quality drastically.

So, long story short - i wouldn't buy that kit. For $20 it is a good deal, but i wouldn't use a filter or an air pump in a 1.5 gallon tank.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
*wishes could get a 2.5* how big are they..??

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I believe it is about 12 x6 inches. I could be wrong, I don't have one, but someone here on the forum does, it is where I learned about the 2.5 gallon tank.I think some people here have the tank you originally posted too. It's not a bad tank, I honestly almost got it for my one betta Batman. :]

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have that 1.5 gal and i was very satified with it when i was using it. Mt betta was perfectly happy in it. I had a 10watt marineland heater that kept it at 78 easily. If you can only get a 1.5 gal i would definately go with that :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
That 2.5 gallon looks so spiffy o.o

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of any fish in very small containers, but it wouldn't be abnormal to have a 1.5 gallon, lots of people do it.

You would need some kind of heater though, for that.

I personally have a huge betta clan in a 75 gallon community tank (Males, tons of females, no aggression) and they couldn't be happier. The bigger the better imo, but that would work.
Do you have a picture of your 75 gal.? Would LOVE to see that!!! :-D

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I have had that 1.5 gallon tank off and on over the years and I personally think it is a good tank. Big enough to fit a cave and some plants. But yes, you do need a heater, that tank gets cold pretty fast.
Here is mine when it was setup:

BTW, if you are buying it from the store. It is cheaper at Walmart. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i would like a 1.5 (i have limeted space) but i dont know how much heaters are or how they work....TO GOOGLE!!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A heater has officaly been taken out of the Betta equasion :cry: i am not sure what to do to keep my soon to be fish warm, and i have tried to convince my parents (lame i know, not my parents the fact i cant get a heater) but they are both convinced that bettas can live in a tiny bowl with no heater. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG!!!!

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I hate to say it, but I wouldn't get a betta if you can't get the heater. In a 1.5 the temperature fluctuates a lot more and gets cold faster, so a heater is pretty much necessary unless your house is kept at like 83 degrees lol. Print out the betta care sheet for your parents. A betta is an animal too, and nothing should be kept in a tiny bowl with no heater :(.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
That sucks.
Times have changed, Goldfish used to be kept in milk jugs. Besides, heaters are only about $10.
You could try to sit down with your parents and explain that this is important to you and that new information says that the care of fish is different nowadays. Also, when I was younger, a good arguement was that this was something positive for me to get into. Caring for animals is a rewarding experince and helps people be more confident and kind. And it is alot better hobby then what most kids and teens are into these days.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
That sucks.
Times have changed, Goldfish used to be kept in milk jugs. Besides, heaters are only about $10.
You could try to sit down with your parents and explain that this is important to you and that new information says that the care of fish is different nowadays. Also, when I was younger, a good arguement was that this was something positive for me to get into. Caring for animals is a rewarding experince and helps people be more confident and kind. And it is alot better hobby then what most kids and teens are into these days.
That is so true. I recently got out of high school, and while I was taking care of my dogs and cats most of my peers drank and smoked drugs. My sister is becoming a teen and her interest in her dog, Boo Boo has gone down so low. She used to be in love with him, she NEVER put him down. Now, he sleeps with me everynight :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts