Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Hope all is well. I was wondering if any aquarists could share how you personally choose to go about growing and maintaining your beneficial bacteria? What products you use to achieve it? frequency and new vs mature aquarium. Please share. Thank you.

Registered
The bacteria will form on their own once you have an ammonia source (could be a betta or you could use pure ammonia in a fishless cycle). Bottled bacteria isn't really necessary.

Registered
What @Momofbetta said . Just make sure that when you later on clean your filter, only swish it in tank water rather than clean it out in the sink etc. You may lose your beneficial bacteria and possibly cycle otherwise.

Registered
The old way of introducing beneficial bacteria into a new aquarium is to put some water from an already established one. To make your aquarium a healthy environment from the get-go, you can use the aquarium bacteria starter. This will make it easier for new fish, plants, and other organisms to adjust to their new environment.

Registered
The old way of introducing beneficial bacteria into a new aquarium is to put some water from an already established one. To make your aquarium a healthy environment from the get-go, you can use the aquarium bacteria starter. This will make it easier for new fish, plants, and other organisms to adjust to their new environment.
Very little BB live in the water column... A bit of substrate or decor will work well too. Or filter media from an established tank.

Super Moderator
If I have it I will use the filter media from another tank but usually I just use the fish and let it happen naturally. For my community tanks I use stability and fish in cycling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts