Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a male veil tail that seems to be more on the aggressive side than my coworker's male betta. I had 2 snails in the tank that both died so I don't want another snail. My betta didn't pay much attention to the snails. What else can I house in a 2 gallon tank with my betta?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Nothing. If your betta is aggressive and in only a 2 gallon tank than the answer to this is nothing.

Male betta do not need tank mates they do better in a smaller tank by themselves, If you want him to have tank mates then I would recommend a larger tank of 10 to 20 gallon heavily planted with lots of places for other tank mate to hide. Betta are predators. But in a larger tank and a lot of hides tank mates could (and I say could)get along.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Perhaps try malasian trumpet snails instead of a larger snail? They're smaller and don't tend to provoke as much aggression.

·
Super Moderator
18,863 Posts
What kind of snails? How long did you have them in the tank? Did you feed them? How often and what percentage of water do you change per week?

As your male was not aggressive toward the other snails I would suggest one Mystery Snail. If you don't supplement feed, two is too many and they will starve to death.

All of that being said, snails create more waste than the food they might clean up. They do not eat poop so vacuuming is still a must.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I’ve had great success with harlequin rasboras. However, since these are schooling fish, you’ll need to get at the very least six of them. These fish are not too big and their fins are small. They don’t threaten the betta. I would recommend changing up the decor in the tank and taking your betta out while you add the Rasboras. Since bettas can be very territorial, it’s better to leave them wondering weather this is his territory or not. This also gets him accustomed to the other fish while he figures things out.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I’ve had great success with harlequin rasboras. However, since these are schooling fish, you’ll need to get at the very least six of them. These fish are not too big and their fins are small. They don’t threaten the betta. I would recommend changing up the decor in the tank and taking your betta out while you add the Rasboras. Since bettas can be very territorial, it’s better to leave them wondering weather this is his territory or not. This also gets him accustomed to the other fish while he figures things out.
The OP has a 2 gallon tank and the Betta is aggressive,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts