Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a 5-gallon tank for my male betta, can I add anything else?:-?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
some ghost/cherry shrimp, maybe a small snail (like the size of your finger small). thats about it though.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I would say no, most five gallons don't have enough volume for other fish as most are schooling fish and there is usually just not enough filtration.

Shrimp or a nerite snail are best choices. It may not seem like a lot, but remember eras are territorial, they need space.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's fine, after all I want the best for my fish!:-D

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
That's good, some people just want something that is active so they overload it with fish, not a good thing.

If you do go with shrimp provide lots of hiding places for them, they can easily become a betta snack, so don't go buy expensive shrimp lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You could try an Amano Shrimp - they're a bit bigger than cherry/ghost shrimp so they won't be as easily snacked on. I have my betta boy in a 5.5g with an Amano and after a few days of my boy chasing the shrimp around they mostly just ignore each other :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the shrimp idea, but I don't want any missing shrimp. I think I will get a snail.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I started with some Cherry Shrimp in a 5 gallon with a male betta. He's a fairly laid back boy that's only ever flared once, and that was not even a full flare, just a slight raising of his gills. He's a long finned boy too, so it's harder for him to chase the speedy little shrimps.

I started with 5 RCS, them added 5 more about a month later. I did once see one of the shrimps missing most of the legs on one side and I'm not sure it was the betta, but he seems to like stalking them even if he can't really catch them, so it's a high possibility.

I have a slight algae issue in another 5 gallon, but I thought the Cherry Shrimp might be at a disadvantage because the betta boy in this tank is much more aggressive. He's also a plakat so he's fast! For this tank I got a single Amano shrimp, which I rarely see because he's sooooooo shy and because he knows that his tank mate is a predator! I have thinned 4 of the Cherry Shrimps from the original tank (3 males/1 female) and added them to this tank as well in hopes of making Manny the Amano feel more comfortable. Manny is doing ok but I don't know about the Cherries because I never see them!

I LOVE watching the shrimps do their thing but it is a risk.

Oh, and I tried the nerite ansil thing first but I only really saw them after they died! I dunno what happened but both died not even a month after I got them.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
369 Posts
2-4 male guppies can work in a 5 gallon but unfortunately not with a Betta, since they are not compatible (as far as I'm aware).

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good idea. Guppies are too fancy for a happy betta.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have ghost shrimp in with my boy and they do fine.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Avoid harlequins in a 5 gallon - they are quite boisterous, are schooling fish and do better in a 20 gallon.

I have a nerite snail with my betta in a 10 gallon, and it does great. ;)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Avoid harlequins in a 5 gallon - they are quite boisterous, are schooling fish and do better in a 20 gallon.

I have a nerite snail with my betta in a 10 gallon, and it does great. ;)
*typo
They are in a 5 gallon. :oops: LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts