Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, so after 20+ years I have finally gotten myself a male beta fish.

I had noticed some fin rot on his tail that I think was caused by stress, his first tank was too small and the filter was too strong, so I got him a larger tank and he seemed much happier.
I have been treating him with bettafix as per the instructions on the bottle and he seems to have been improving. He now comes over to have a look at us, flares and has gained an appetite, his tail was also looking better, until just now.

I was just having a look at him when I noticed that part of his tail is gone. It was there this morning, and its looking quite ragged. I cannot see the part of his tail that is missing anywhere in his tank and he seems to be acting normally, coming over and having a flare at me.
Is this something I should be worried about or is it just part of getting over fin rot?

I have added photos of him this morning, and this evening as I happened to photograph him this morning... because I am just a bit on love with him.

I am really hoping that he isn't dying on me, and his tail will grow back.
I have only have him for 3 weeks but I am really attached, (I got him held in the store for a whole week, because I wanted him and none of the other reds) my kids also really love him and are always asking that Gallifrey is doing, and can they feed him, and they love when he flares at them.

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
looks like tail biting, some say its because stress, some say its because fins are too heavy, no one really knows for sure though, some fish do it and some dont.

edit: keep water clean and warm, if hes eating he will probably be fine.

·
Super Moderator
22,919 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

The good news is your boy doesn't have fin rot; it's fin biting or decor damage. Test all of the decor in his tank with a pair of hose. If the hose snag then so will his fins. Can you post a photo of the entire tank? If he's biting that often goes along with a tank that's too bright or doesn't have enough plants. Betta are more dim-light, heavy foliage fish than open water.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the fast replies....

I have attached a photo of the tank.

I noticed him squeeze himself under the small arch in the rock formation ornament, I have never seen him go down there before, but maybe he snagged on that. I was really surprised to a. see him go in there & b. swim out the other side. I will remove it and see if its sharp at all, I thought it was pretty smooth when I got it, its not real rock, but I probably underestimated just how delicate their fins are.

Do you think he needs more plants? Or should I get him a hide? I am thinking something that he can get in easy that is smooth, so he can go in there and get a rest from the outside (aka hide from the 4-year-olds)

I am glad he will be ok. I hope his tail doesn't take long to grow back, although I can live with his current look, hes so cute personality wise.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,919 Posts
I would add about four times that many plants. I like to buy stem plants and instead of planting individually leave them together and anchor in the back corners. Let them flow over the surface instead of clipping when they reach the water line. This provides both shade and a bed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts