Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased some S. Repens and their beautiful, the plant I have always dreamed about, the plant I have always wanted... Yeah, well I bought them for $10! XD Its so expensive for a little bag. I was desperate for the plant so I got it :p Here is the pic of it. I also got a liquid co2 booster bottle. Ill be upgrading too actual co2, but for now, I need too know if this light will do? I purchased it at Home Depot because I was in a rush at the time :p I would like some feed back asap thx guys! Ill post pics!

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And the lighting, there are 2 bulbs, but I'm not sure if there high enough lighting for a 10 gallon, petco tank. :p please tell me if I got the wrong bulbs (most likely) I'm willing too return them and get better bulbs :) thanks guys I want this tank too be a med-high moderate tank ;) or at lease med-low mod. Thanks again!! The bulbs say 100watts replacements 72 watts only :) if that helps at all? The brightness is 1490 ,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yay S. Repens! Geeze, 10 bucks? ours are only 7 dollars and something for the bags. Anywho.

Which CO2 did you get, I assume it's the API CO2 Booster? I've never actually used it but I don't use a lot of API products except for their Tap Water Conditioner.

Yeah that light is no good. You don't want anything that says "Soft White" or "Warm White". You want to look for the Kelvin Rating on the side or back, it should appear as a scale and it will say "2200" or something like that. For a planted tank and high light on a 10 gallon, you want 6,500K so that will be your Daylight bulbs. However, watch out because some Daylight bulbs are only 5,000-5,500K which are okay but your S. Repens would be much happier with 6,500K

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, hecka expensive here haha!

Yes, it's the API co2 booster :p

Ok, looks like I'm making another trip too Home Depot, which apparently is right next too petsmart... So who knows what I may be getting XD!!!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Ah, I find that Home Depot and Lowes don't have the 6,500K, only the 5,000K daylight. You'll probably have to go to a Walmart, that's where I got my small Spiral CFL 6,500K, it's a 3 pack for 2.88 :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ah, I find that Home Depot and Lowes don't have the 6,500K, only the 5,000K daylight. You'll probably have to go to a Walmart, that's where I got my small Spiral CFL 6,500K, it's a 3 pack for 2.88 :)

Exactly what they said! ^ I actually went to Lowes and bought mine, buying light bulbs was way more complicated for me then it needed to be, lol. I have a regular / standard 10 gallon hood from petsmart and I purchased these lights from there and all my plants are growing great!

you would want the BLUE packaging because at the top it states 6500k, where as the white packaging is much lower.

Also, these bulbs are small enough to screw in without taking off the plastic splash guards as well!

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol, thanks for making it much easier for me ;) ! I'll defeniatley return the bulbs I picked up and get those ones! Do you think they'll have it at a grocery walmart store instead of regular walmart... My walmart is pretty far away :p

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Is it literally only groceries at that walmart? I've never seen on like that if so lol all of ours are being converted to GM (General Merchandise as they started out as) and Grocery Side, if they weren't like that to start off with. I worked at walmart for a year and a half but quit when they told me they don't support people going to college.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Is it literally only groceries at that walmart? I've never seen on like that if so lol all of ours are being converted to GM (General Merchandise as they started out as) and Grocery Side, if they weren't like that to start off with. I worked at walmart for a year and a half but quit when they told me they don't support people going to college.
That's weird, because I'm a manager at my Wal-Mart super center. We support people going to college. I would have called home office on those people at your store and reported them.

But anyway, that blue package is perfect. 6500k daylight grows plants pretty well.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
That's weird, because I'm a manager at my Wal-Mart super center. We support people going to college. I would have called home office on those people at your store and reported them.
Yeah, they pretty much flat out told me that either I go part-time or don't go at all to college and work full time at Walmart :-/ they weren't very nice managers. We recently had a switch over in Store Managers and we all love him so much more, he actually cares about the employee's and talks to them and encourages good things and it's been a much better store since but I also worked there four years ago now so some things have changed. But the assistant managers were boasting that they went through college while working full time at walmart and that college was a waste....but they were only taking 3 classes whereas at that time I was taking 11. I need to stay full time in order to get my tuition waiver.

Anyway, I digress! Sorry for going off topic!

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I only moved in like a yer or too ago and the grocer walmart was just there, I'm not sure if it was an original walmart before :p oh well!

Thanks tony this helped me so much!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts