Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey. I got a betta last week from petsmart and he was a little dull but I liked his colors. He brightened up a bit after a few days of feeding and he acts like a normal betta should, eating all of his 2 pellets twice a day, swimming around, making bubbles around his bowl, but I'm not sure he's ok. I think it was Thursday that I saw a fresh scratch on his head just above his eye and his fin was ripped. I checked everything in his cage and the only thing that could have scratched him was his live plants. However every site I go to says plants can't hurt fish. This plant was a golden something or other that the petsmart guy said was perfect for bettas. I decided to keep a watch on him and his scar is almost gone and his tail is mostly healed. I changed his water yesterday making sure that the tap water was correctly treated with conditioner and left out till it was room temperature. But now, within the last 5 hours he has gotten red marks on both of his gill flaps! I don't know it this is his coloring or what but I am scared. He is acting normally but a little more active in his swimming. I thought it might be velvet but I looked it up and he should be acting sick or have a goldish shine to him if it is. He has neither of these symptoms. Could it be his plants? HELP?!?:-(
PS: He is in a bowl with 69 degree water. As soon as I go to Walmart I am going to get him a 10 gallon tank which I already have a heater for.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm 100% sure he has scratches but I am moving him into his 10 gallon tank tomorrow and have added aquarium salt to his new tank's water along with the conditioner I have been using. Any other suggestions? Should I take out his plants? leave them in there till his betta bulbs are growing? Just leave them and hope they didn't cause his injuries?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am by far an expert but I think he definitely needs a heater as 69 degrees is too cold, maybe that's the problem. I've also read that the hard plastic plants can scratch the fish, but the live ones as long as they are soft should be fine. Sorry I'm not more help to you.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Yes. 69 is really, really cold. Do your best to warm that water up (slowly), try putting a heating pad on low under it or bob a water bottle (clean) filled with warmer water inside in there.
I looked, but didnt really see what you meant.. As for the fins, regardless of what hurt them, keep the water very clean, well conditioned and add some aquarium salt if you have it.
Do not get that ten if you dont have a heater for it! He'll just be in a bigger tank, but no healthier or warmer.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
The red marks on the gill flaps are normal coloration of the fish. Dark colored Males and females get that when they flare and the color of the line depends on the colorations of the fish.
The ripped fins might be from all the activity or even tailbitting and if he's flaring at something (e.g. his reflection, something in his tank or around the tank) it might lead to tailbiting.
If you have a light in your tank, I suggest you have it mostly off at night to avoid glare inside the tank.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks. He's going in his 10g tonight which has been running since about 4 yesturday and it has a nice heater at about 78 and some aquarium salt so hopefully he will be happier. His plants are kinda stiff and pointy so I think I'll just take them out when his betta blulbs start growing. Thank you!

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Great! Allow him to acclimate before going in to avoid shocking him.
Put him in his cup with his old tank water, then bob that cup at like half full for like 10 minutes, then add a little bit of the new tank water in there, then every 6-10-15 minutes, add more and more water. After at least like 15-20minutes (minimum), put him in :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice PewPewPew. I did as you said and Declan seems to be enjoying his new found freedom :D

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm not sure about those betta bulbs. I had them in my tank for awhile, but they just looked like they were shredding and I took them out...Are they the ones that are suppose to grow in a month or so?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They aren't actually betta bulbs they are the Hybrid Aponogeton Bulbs from Walmart. I don't know if these will be any better but they have a guarantee and will replace any bulbs that don't grow so we'll see.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I have some of those. I just stuck some in a few days ago, we'll see if they grow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts