Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,357 Posts
Can you post a photo of the tank?

How did you clean the tank and decor? Did you use soap, bleach, vinegar?

It's possible something is leaching into the water from the decor. I'd remove all so only the heater and filter are left; do three 50% water changes. After that you can add another Betta. Some recommend purchasing a small fish, like a female Guppy, to "test" before adding a Betta.

Fish in cycling is safe but it's best to remove 25% of the water when Ammonia or Nitrites hit .25 ppm. And to use two drops of Prime per gallon every day to neutralize the Ammonia.

·
Super Moderator
24,357 Posts
Nice set-up for your fish.

I'd remove all of the decor, do the water changes and put a fish in the open tank. If it is still going strong after a week, add one piece of decor. And gradually add decor one piece at a time. This is what is often recommended when fish die so quickly.

And don't worry about a Betta (or other fish) not eating immediately. Sometimes it's the stress of going from a cup to a "mansion;" sometimes they've been fed freeze dried (pet store) or live (breeder) and don't recognize pellets as food. Just offer one pellet at a time and if it is not eaten, remove with a turkey baster. Keep trying until the Betta understands that's all it's going to get. I don't offer my Betta any food for 24 hours; nor do I turn on the tank lights for 24 hours.

I think you're right that 50% was too much.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts