Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so Ive been trying to research live plants vs silk. a question that has come up is low light / med light / high light. wow so confusing I have a 10 gallon tank with 2 screw in led 3 watt bulbs. Is that low light? high light? When its on it does seem quite bright

·
Registered
397 Posts
I would just go with Silk plants. I think they are cheaper and less work. But that is simply my opinion someone else may have a better one. I'm really bad at all plants except cactus' lol.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Google "lighting an aquarium with PAR instead of watts" and read that. It is the best explanation I've found so far of lighting and how to figure out your lighting situation.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
[Here is a thread] that covers lighting in detail, first post holds the info, past that is questions and answers mostly. If its a bit much to wrap your head around take note of this quoted info and look at the graphs in the first post to get a feel for type of light and distance from substrate to determine low/medium/high
Low light - 15-30 micromols of PAR - CO2 is not needed, but is helpful to the plants
Medium light - 35-50 micromols of PAR - CO2 may be needed to avoid too many nuisance algae problems
High light - more than 50 micromols of PAR - pressurized CO2 is essential to avoid major algae problems

[Another thread's post] for cfl specific lighting and what range is is determined by distance, kelvin, and wattage.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks RussellTheShihTzu for the suggestion. Aqua Aurora whats a micromol ? givemethatfish whats PAR? and Charc14 Im beginning to think of doing just that. Still have a little time so Ill keep researching my options.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
thanks RussellTheShihTzu for the suggestion. Aqua Aurora whats a micromol ? givemethatfish whats PAR? and Charc14 Im beginning to think of doing just that. Still have a little time so Ill keep researching my options.
If you rad the first post of the top link i put in above it explains micromol and par.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you for all the help. Its Very confusing and it looks like the way to actually figure out what 2- 3 watt bulbs equal is to buy a par meter, But since I dont have one , I will just guess I think it would be considered low, guess I figured there would be an easier way , oops

·
Registered
647 Posts
I agree. There are too many confusing jargons when it comes to lighting. Terms like par, pur, lux, lumen, etc. are thrown around too often.
Low lighting is perfect for the typical betta keeper with small tanks. Just be selective on what you want to grow.

·
Super Moderator
19,453 Posts
The video in this link is quite interesting. I'm getting one of these for my 10 and another to supplement the fluorescent on my 20. It's nice they are actually made small enough (12" wide) for a 2.5 gallon. Oh, and take away 2" to account for substrate so both my 10 and my 20 would receive about 40 PAR (whatever that is ;-) ).

AquaVibrant

·
Registered
647 Posts
Americans have it so easy when it comes to affordable lighting. We pay a fortune here with the limited online retailers.

To get back on topic, the Stingray looks like a solid low light option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts