Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought "her" under the impression she was a girl, but she hasn't taken any interest in the guy next to her and now there is a bubble nest in her tank...So my questions are is it actually a boy betta (in which case her name will cease to be Selena) and what type is he? If it is a male I was thinking a Round or Plakat.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
atm i would guess CT plakat and judging by the fins, its a male.. but im not quite sure.. my brother hs a male blue plakat with the same fins.. but some females make bubble nests also

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks I'll add a few more pictures to maybe help

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The second one is when I first got "her".

Attachments

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
It looks like she's just a longer finned lady, to me. She doesnt have an angry-looking male face lol. She's got a cute innocent girl face and no beard that I can see. If theres a small white dot between her two ventral fins, its a girl :)

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought she looked too cute to be a male, lol. I thought I saw on on her when I first bought her but I don't see it anymore. And I noticed today that she decided to blow a nice big bubble nest. confused me to no end. Maybe she was trying to tell her neighbor something considering he's a male.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol yeah I'm hopefully going to breed those two in about 2 or 3 weeks. It'll either be those two or my other pair. lol

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Such a beautiful betta. I'm no expert on plakats, I've only had one male plakat, so I'm no help, but I love the look of him/her.

·
Super Moderator
6,273 Posts
IMO a female VT.

Don't show her the male.... just yet. Show her a mirror and let her flare. Make her aggressive. Then show her a male, preferably a flirting male. She should respond.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alrighty thanks. I'll mate her with my VT male. Walter is sure to love her

·
Registered
490 Posts
I was going to say at first that she had a somewhat "male-ish" body shape around the head, as they seem to have a bit of slope while females are more bullet shaped (or at least that's what I see in mine) but I see no sign of a beard beneath her chin. I'd say veiltail female, and agree that she may have a little bit of crowntail in her background.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think she is a he...again

So I decided to make my girl flare against a mirror and then with another betta (don't worry I used a floating breeding cage to separate) and I'm just not sure she is a she. her beard looked pretty big for a female. I have another female and her beard isn't much bigger than her gills. i suppose i wont know unless a she develops breeding stripes from the brief 20 min encounter or if I try to breed her and it doesn't work. Pics are below.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HmPK maybe?

·
Super Moderator
6,273 Posts
Ok, my mistake....
That looks like a male. The gills open 90* - females usually don't open that far. And you're right, the beard looks too big for a female.
Does he/she have a white dot under the belly? Females (older) should show them clearly. So if it doesn't have one, then it should definitely be a male.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nope its not there although when I bought her she had the vertical white breeding bars of a female. this little one is just so confused. confused me too. But hey I'll take a hmpk for the price of a female :) thank you petco

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Strategic feeding

So I strategically fed her/him and got some shots of the underside. Pretty sure thats a male now...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
there is a white spot but it doesn't bump out like my other girl's. Well I guess this means his name is now Smith and I need to go get another girl ^^ YAY! I get to buy a fish. I need another one like a hole in my head but thats the betta craze :)

·
Super Moderator
6,273 Posts
White spots on females are literally white - like milk/paper. That is just the anus. So IMO he should be a male..... Hi Smith.

BTW, he doesn't look PK. His fins (caudal) looks too long to be PK. That's what I would call a round tail. They are rather long, but not as long as a VT.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts