Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my betta around november last year and he's been fine up until a few months ago the scales on the left side of his head started to become discolored and now he has this huge protruding whitish thing that sort of looks like a blister? on his head right there. i'm really stumped as to what this may be. he's still very active and eats and appears to be completely normal except for that thing on his head.. any ideas??? here are some pics :-?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I'll note the betta is on Epsom salt, to see if that would help. :p

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Wow, I wish I could help you, I don't know those close ups are great, I would Google it, you may get some info there..He's a beautiful fishy:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks lelei! :) and i've tried lookin up all kinds of stuff on google and I haven't found ANY answers on how to treat it yet. :-(

·
Registered
692 Posts
Could it be a fungus or a parasite causing it? :eek:

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I've been hearing about "Ich" a lot on this forum, look that up on google,and see what the symptoms are, still at a loss..sorry

·
Registered
101 Posts
yea its probably fungal , try to go to a fishy doctor ( if one exists if not i wish there were)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
At first I thought for sure that it was fungus.. but I remember I used to have a betta that really did have fungus and it didn't look like this.. :-? is this a type of illness that's never been identified or something because i've looked everywhere and no one seems to know what it is.

·
Registered
665 Posts
You can pm Oldfishlady see if she can help. She is really good with all natural remedies and she always helps. See if she has any idea how to treat it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
do you mean like flaring? he jumps out of the water to get the food that I feed him lol i'm pretty sure he flared at my finger today and he doesn't usually do that. is that what you mean? but he just acts completely normal like before it was even there. I do actually remember him rubbing up against the tank a long time ago right where that thing on his head is now though.. maybe it was just a coincidence or it's itchy!!? :O how would I treat it? have you ever seen anything like what's on his head before or no?

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
after talking to some very knowledgeable people, they've come to the conclusion that it's either a tumor, or a buildup of dragon scales. in either case, there's not much you can do about it. if he's not acting sick in any way, he should be able to live happily with it, either way.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
dragon scales!!! I knew I forgot something :lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oooooohhhhhhhhh well he is a dragon scale so that makes alot of sense. and he does act completely normal. so will it ever go away?

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
probably not. i'm not an expert on dragons in any way, and i'm just telling you what they told me. :V imo, it shouldn't matter. my brother's betta has a tumor on his back, and he's fine with it, despite it eating his dorsal in away, so we're not doing anything special with him(other than me spoiling him a little with extra food and bloodworms when brother's not looking. >w>)...

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
:lol:

My Spartan had a tumor :3 it grew slow, never hindered his movement or organs and so he was fine for his life :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts