Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a casual question. It's getting pretty warm over here now, and when we aren't home the air isn't on. Checked the tank temperature and noticed it was around 82 degrees. I know that isn't too hot, but it was a bit warmer than I liked. I just took the lid off the tank for a bit (before you guys mention him jumping, he isn't a jumper. For food, maybe, but on his own, nah)

Anyways, I was just wondering how to cool down a tank if for some reason it was way too hot. I never expect to use this, but it couldn't hurt.

OR, what if there was a power outage on a hot day in the middle of summer (worst case scenario)? What would you do?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
You can take some of his treated water and put it into an ice cube tray, fish cubes

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
A fan is a safe way to cool - the issue with ice is that it takes time to disperse, and a curious fish might get a nasty shock getting close to the cubes...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking a fan as well. What about if there was no power though? Maybe press some cold items from the freezer to the side of the tank away from the heater for a little? That's probably what I would do if it got to that point.

It's eighty degrees out today and his tank is at 82 again. Gotta love summer.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
yaay summer! You can also wrap a wet towel around the tank, the evaporation should cool it like crazy. It would work extra good with a fan on it.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I wonder if one of those cooling packs for ice coolers would work. you could perhaps leave it around one side with a wet towel wrapped around if you lose power.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I'd be worried that would work TOO well... Plus, losing power usually happens cause of a storm, which should mean dropped temperatures.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I would say a small battery operated fan would be your best bet. I have a Black & Decker snake fan that runs on batteries in case of power outages (it's to blow on ME not the fish tanks lol), and it will go at least 3-4 nights on one set of batteries, which is about 20 hours or so.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
If you have the tank lights on turning them off will help bring the temperature down.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I'd be worried that would work TOO well... Plus, losing power usually happens cause of a storm, which should mean dropped temperatures.
In the summer, if we lose power, it tends to be from high wind. Which, surprisingly, doesn't drop the temperatures any at ALL. And in August, it tops 100 here fairly regularly. A battery operated fan would be awesome, but won't do much in August if power is lost. Maybe blow the fan over the ice? Now I need to go buy a couple battery operated fans. :)

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
How long does the power stay out for?
I know that 100+ feel, in August it doesn't ever drop BELOW 100 it feels like!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Goodness, you guys live in very hot places. ;D haveyouhadyourteatyet I just noticed you live in Texas, so now that makes since. It won't get that hot here, but without the air on while we're gone and no breeze finding it's way through the balcony door, it's quite unpleasant in here, haha. Nothing compared to what that must be like there.

These all sound like great ideas for those unexpected emergencies. The tank light is almost never on, usually just if I'm trying to see something or taking pictures. But we do have a couple small fans that could be used in an emergency with power, and I'm sure we'd have some frozen things to wrap up in a towel and press to the sides with a lack of power. Hopefully none of us have to try to keep our fish cool.

·
Registered
147 Posts
this issue came up on another forum i use.... but the person lived in califonia and had lager tanks with hundreds of dollars worth of fish. when power outtages happen one person suggessted floating ice in mlik jugs or soda bottles filled with ice water.. i guess it lowered the temp enough and kept it pretty stable.

if your tank is small enough you could do the opposite and place it in a cooler or tote with cool water and ice surrounding the tank.

almost the same concept as floating several betta cups in one heated tank

1 - 14 of 14 Posts