Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI all- noticed some dull spots on the back of my betta, not as vibrant as his black underside; this and the flaking looking white spots(more like molting skins) on one spot near back of head and tips of pectoral fins(left fin shows best) . I am not sure if a external fungus like columnaris or what. acting fine otherwise, but has been fighting some bloating a little. I also just did a pretty extensive clean on his side to rid brown algae (as must as could), so there was stress as well as vacumming deeep. Shared 20g divided and the other guy seems fine but I don;t want to risk anything spreading. thanks!

UPDATE: I actually think it is skin flukes which he has had but was flicking, not doing that now though.. could it be?

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 20g
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 81-82 last few days
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? only at night
Does your Betta have tank mates? nope

Food:
What food brand do you use? Hikari, north fin
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets and frozen
Freeze-dried? no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2x day, about 3 mini pellets or 3/4 frozen shrimp

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
What is the source of your water? tap with prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? vac
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Prime

Water Parameters:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0 (cycled but plants eat it all)
pH: 7.4
Hardness (GH): haven't tested in a while but we have always had very hard water ~140
Alkalinity (KH): usually 80

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Truthfully he has had this kind of thing on his body before and the dull patches but never the white tips of his fins. This new one I just noticed today
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? he has actually gotten more blue and red in tail but not anything else
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? nope
Is your Betta still eating? yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? no
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? he had external parasites before from LFS media and maybe just back?
How long have you owned your Betta? since April
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? no

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Hi @RaeRae Been a while.
I found this pinned Betta Fish Disease and Treatment
True Fungal Infections
•Symptoms: White cottony like patches on its body or head, Lethargic, Not eating, Clamped Fins, Pale Colors
•Treatment: Conservative: Lower temperature below 76* F and treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Never continue salt treatments for more than 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective after 10 days or you see the fungus spread rapidly during the course of conservative treatment, move to medication. Add “Fungus Eliminator” by Jungle, API Erythromycin, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn II. Change water every day and add a new dose of the same medication. Continue until all fungus has disappeared.
I hope things clear up for him! 💜

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I know they have been doing great and then all the same time have something.. I got to see it again up close and it is not skinny like a fluke, nor is it cottony, it is like 3mm width and looks more like a rectangle shape of film hanging off him. The fins could be fin rot though.

Then the friend on the other side of the divider is acting really weird too.. Hanging at the top and not moving a lot. I don't know what is going on.. The temp is about 80 now, was really warm yesterday due to air not wroking- got up to 83 on one side. maybe the change in temp is affecting the other guy? I hate to treat them both but they seem to have something going on.. I like the idea to use salt, but I have to dissolve i to put in, can I dissolve in a smaller amount of water to add to the tank or will that be too concentrated to dump in the current water - then I have to do a WC to add it? I dont want to use meds yet or water changes to cause more stress as the other friend looks very stressed. I turned their lights off, and air stone on. This is when I freak out, do too much and end up causing more harm :/

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
I’m sorry RaeRae I don’t have any experience treating with salt. I wish I could tell you something that will help but I’m kinda at a loss here. The spot on his head looks fuzzy to me. Probably just the photo. Hopefully someone has some good advice will chime in here.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. He has some white by his mouth now. I don’t think salt will cure this. I did add the tanin last night but columnaris may be the culprit. It isn’t fuzzy at least not that so can tell up close. So gotta ask about this one again:(

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The dull patches, the white flaking and now the white lines on lips, seems like columnaris. I need to treat but will just furan-2 be enough? Also, it is a shared tank so should I treat the whole tank? The either fish seems better today, he seemed sick yesterday but better today. I hate to treat a nonsick fish and possibly harm, but also do my want to leave it open to him getting sick later.. help:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts