Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got some frogbit few days ago and hadn’t noticed till now but there seems to be some free floating Moss or something like that attached to the roots. I’m sure I can just pull it out and let it grow in a corner of my tank ?? Can someone please help me identify what plant this and if its safe to use in a betta tank? Thank you

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On a side note, how are you with snails or hitchhikers?😊
I had one snail come in on the hornwort and Drogon destroyed him within minutes of the poor guy being in the tank :oops: he was a few mm long so I should have already seen it coming and by I’m pretty sure I’ve got cyclops and nematodes either from my live plants or almond leaves:cry: I’ve only had him three weeks and the first week he didn’t even eat and there were detritus worms EVERYWHERE in his tank. I removed any food I offered to him so I know they weren’t because of over feeding

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
If it easily pulls free I would put it in a separate container and make sure it's not algae.

Do you know if these were tank or pond raised? Always ask. Pond-raised plants can come with all sorts of hitchhikers. I stopped buying pond plants when I found a Dragonfly nymph in a tank.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had one snail come in on the hornwort and Drogon destroyed him within minutes of the poor guy being in the tank :oops: he was a few mm long so I should have already seen it coming and by I’m pretty sure I’ve got cyclops and nematodes either from my live plants or almond leaves:cry: I’ve only had him three weeks and the first week he didn’t even eat and there were detritus worms EVERYWHERE in his tank. I removed any food I offered to him so I know they weren’t because of over feeding
I think I would have done the same thing.... and I didn't know things could be attached to almond leaves! Ack! I only put tissue culture plants in mine because of my fear of snails and other "pests" .... I signed up to care for a betta not all these hitchhikers😅

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it easily pulls free I would put it in a separate container and make sure it's not algae.

Do you know if these were tank or pond raised? Always ask. Pond-raised plants can come with all sorts of hitchhikers. I stopped buying pond plants when I found a Dragonfly nymph in a tank.
I think they were raised in a pond 😓😓 also do you think it could be something called riccia fluitans

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm not familiar with Riccia. I believe @fatblonde has some. Maybe she will know.

Well, I'm glad you circled it... I thought you were talking about this:: Yes, the one that YOU circled is Riccia Fluitans! AKA Crystalwort I believe. I absolutely
love it. Although I'm still trying to figure out how to grow it correctly. I have some floating, some tied to wood, and some sitting in the gravel. I purchased it in tissue culture so they're little tiny mounds. And nothing that can hurt your betta. I have a couple of "bunches" floating in each of my betta tanks and then I'm experimenting on the other ways to grow it.... Although the tied to the wood is not working out as nicely as I had envisioned
Green Leaf Organism Plant Terrestrial plant

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.