Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, phoenix has got tail rot and I have been treating him with aq. salt for 2 days so far and cleaning out his entire tank every morning. but today he has this stringy white thing dangling from his fins. :-( and I have ammo lock and I still have him in his 1 gallon tank. how do I treat this? I have a medicine that is all in 1. it does say it treats fin rot and tail rot also. but do I use it?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Please provide a picture if your betta's ailment(s) and the brand names of the medicines you own

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 70-80 F
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? a variety: freeze dried bloodworms, pellets, and im starting non-medicated fish food pellets with garlic.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 time a day. and 3 of the stuff- 3 pellets or 2 freeze dried bloodworms and 1 pellet. etc.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? right now im treating for tail rot so 100% everyday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? chlor out, and stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? crap... no

Ammonia: 0.25 pp
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? yes. his fins are see through a bit
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? idk, he has been super happy to see me soo. a little bit more than usual but I left on a vacation for a while
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 days ago-( tail rot) today-( white stringy thing)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? aq. salt. 1 tsp.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? uhh... 2 years I think

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Those white/clear spots are growth, his fins are growing back. I should harp on you about getting him a bigger tank but I won't, you do need to keep doing daily 100% water changes to stop the rot from coming back though! a 1g needs daily 100%s even when the fish isn't sick. Also try to keep his temp 76-80 since 70 is too cold. Once you've done AQ salt for 7-14 days don't add anymore, let his kidneys rest since the rot should be gone (it looks gone now) and his fins will be full and colored again in 2-3 months

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
His food is fine, you just need to keep the tank super clean and warm

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
k im getting a bigger tank! and a algae ball, and a bottom feeder, and a new betta. and i won't divide the 5 gallon. I actually had a friend who had a 5 gallon and it was didvided. they came home and they were both on the same side... the one jumped over the 2- inch divider.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
If you are getting a new tank please get a bigger one for this betta also

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bettas have to be divided. If they jump their barrier, they need separated asap as they will fight and cause damage to each other. Make sure your new tank is large enough to support adding a bottom feeder or other tank mates and make sure they are betta compatible (like snails). Moss balls are a great addition to a tank.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kk he is on his second week of aq salt and doing better. Question, I now have a baby betta ajd going to find out how to take care of he/she ( 0_o ) any advise? And I have the gravel and new plants + 2.5 gallon tanks. And no bottom feeder just moss ball.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
100% daily water changes! water at 80-82 degrees and feed him/her small amounts 3+ times a day

1 - 15 of 15 Posts