Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So I just arrived home for spring break from college, and as I was filling up my aquarium with water, lo and behold this bugger appears out of nowhere! Thank goodness I have my real camera because it's only the size of a popcorn kernel. I'd love to know what type of snail it is, and whether it's a safe type to have with my betta.

The picture was taken in my current 3 gallon, with has only a marimo moss ball I've had since last summer. The thing the snail is on is a large root decoration, fake. However, that decoration used to be in a 10 gallon that for a short time had microsword I ordered from bamaplants.com — that's the only way I can imagine the snail got there. Then, somehow, the snail hid out in the decoration (which has air hose holes) for like a month before being forced out into the open today. Currently I have no substrate but this weekend will be adding sand and some plants besides the marimo. So I'm not opposed to snails if it's safe!

Thank you for any help!!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Yeah, no picture. Go to "Go Advanced", click on the paperclip, then after browsing to your file be sure to click "upload".

Depending on the snail though, it's most likely a bladder snail or a ramshorn snail. Neither will hurt your betta - but both have the potential for a population explosion in your tank! They should help clean up dying plant matter though.

Keep your tank maintained and don't overfeed. If they get too plentiful, you'll have to trap and remove them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depending on the snail though, it's most likely a bladder snail or a ramshorn snail. Neither will hurt your betta - but both have the potential for a population explosion in your tank! They should help clean up dying plant matter though.
Thank for you leaving suggestions even though you couldn't see the picture! I looked up bladder snail, it must be that.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thank for you leaving suggestions even though you couldn't see the picture! I looked up bladder snail, it must be that.
I didn't want to guess in case it was a dangerous snail (unlikely) :)
And the picture the 2nd time works :)

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-experts/wiegert/snail-wars.aspx said:
The diet of snails more or less crosses the board of available foods, and for convenience, they can be divided into four major feeding groups, though few are exclusively within one group. These four groups are the primary scavengers (i.e., those that eat detritus, dead organisms, etc.), the plant-eating snails, the grazing snails, and the carnivorous snails.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Pond snails are fine. I have a few of them. They do great at eating the dying leaves and my betta does great at population control. Ummm. Tasty! So I don't have a problem with population. And they do poop alot, but that shouldn't be a problem with proper water management. The larger ones, my betta just plays with them by pushing them off of the glass and don't let him catch them gliding across the top.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I know that betta will eat small snails, but it still baffles me on how exactly that works. Seems like an *awful* lot of roughage!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Rubbie just sees one as he is pertroling along and stops, and just gobbles them up. I swear he enjoys it. He has figured out that they like to hide on the substrate and will go by picking them off one by one. I've even caught him pushing the substrate around looking for them. He's like a little shark

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I crushed and fed some baby bladder snails to my guys last night. These snails have rather soft shells and I watched my bettas crunch them up. Seeing as bettas are insectivores I'm sure their stomachs are good at dissolving animal proteins.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Lol

·
Registered
424 Posts
I *was* picking out around a half dozen tiny snails out of my new tank daily that hitched a ride in on my plants. Until Crush moved in. No more tiny snails, he gobbled them all up. His nerite is just fine though.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Lol I'm not lucky enough to have a betta that eats snails in the tank where I'm having this bladder snail population explosion. No.. I taught him not to bother my ramhorns early on. Ramhorns don't seem to have quite so many babies nor poop so much.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Based on the mortality rate in the community tank (mollies), they don't eat the shell. They eat the poor snail and leave the shell. As fast as the ramshorns proliferate, they can't keep up with the Horde. However, the snails in Opie the betta's tank are entirely safe from becoming lunch. He has no interest in eating them no matter what their size. I think it depends on your betta. Opie is a peaceful soul and so is my other betta, Freckles, who likes to watch the ghost shrimp run from him but never harms them in any way. He just pokes them with his nose to make them move, and he doesn't even follow them.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
a few of my bettas make lunch out of only the teeniest of the snails.....probably only a few days old if that. The larger ones they leave along. Betta popcorn.......

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yeah. That's what mine do. They eat the tiny babies and I have seen the shells laying on the bottom. But all but Brady, leaves the bigger ones alone. (Except for Rubbie pushing them around, and generally bullying them)

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I moved my betta Gaston into my 5g with the bladder snail infestation... in one night he devoured them all .-. today he had a bunch of shell filled poops. So some do eat them whole.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts